using Onestep to sanitize

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevecaaster

Reaction score
Hello everyone, i have a quick question about using one step... does anyone else use Onestep or oxyclean as their sole sanitizer when cleaning things? I have seen several people claim that it should not be used as a sanitizer, only as a pre-scrub sort of wash before sanitization. what do you guys think???

also does anyone know how many gravity points 5 oz of priming sugar adds to your batch, i had to take my FG reading after priming as i forgot to take it before, oops, thanks a lot for the help :)

Yeah you should only use OxiClean to wash and cleanse, not sanitizing. Using OxiClean is great for that, but then you should sanitize with Idophor or StarSan, or bleach if you want. The OneStep stuff is pretty nice, but everyone recommends Idophor so now I do the OxiClean and Idophor method.

I tried it an number of times but never had success with it - once I started using Iodophor I never had any more problems.

Is onestep the same as oxyclean? I've been wondering that because they both say they use oxygen to clean/sanitize. Anyway, in my very limited experience, OneStep has sanitized just fine.

I used one step for about 3 batches until I got an infection. Moved to using star-san and haven't had a single problem since!

I am doing a normal wash with dishwashing liquid and then soaking everything with One Step and then Iodophor right before use. It may be over kill, but if I am going to the trouble to do all that work, I want to make sure the beer is drinkable!!!!!

I just looked into this last week. My impression was that OneStep was not a sanitizer until I did some research. Apparantly you can not call something a sanitizer unless it is certified, which costs money. Just because OneStep is not "certified" as a sanitizer, doesn't mean that it doesn't sanitize. Bleach is also not "certified" to sanitize, but is often used for that purpose. Do a Google search and you'll will find many people who have been using OneStep for years without any problems.

I used onestep for about two years, since that's what alot of winemakers use (no foam, etc) and I have a big bucket of it! I now use starsan most of the time, just because I like the foam so I can "see" where it's been sanitized. Still one-step worked fine for me, and I wouldn't hesitate to use it again.

I used OneStep initially because it came with my equipment kit. Once that first bag of it ran out I switched to Iodophor and have used nothing else since. I did brew with a buddy a few weeks ago and he used StarSan and it worked well too; not much different from using Iodophor except StarSan lasts longer.

one step and oxyclean are similar but slightly different.

one step requires several minutes of wet contact time to sanitize and does not keep nearly as long as star-san.

i used to only use one step, and never had any infections. its just too expensive compared to the big bottle of star san for $13.

Back