Road trip. Wisconsin to Texas. Suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
It's of beer in WI but since I'll be on the road any great beer to bring back to Wisconsin. We can't get Dog Fish Head or stone but ILL has that. What about Texas. Anything there? MO?

LOL. I do feel foolish asking about Texas. I'm surrounded by breweries.

I've had one member of out club say bring back $75 of any Jester King in Texas. Personally I'm a dark beer drinker.

Despite the Texas love here let me offer some suggestions

Jester king
Karbach
Austin beer works
Real ale

It's not a beer wasteland haha

You should definitely try live oak hefe with an orange (even if you don't care for hefes). It's only on tap so so check the bars in the area you will be. Might try a shinier bock while you are there, but I wouldn't bring a sixer back. Might bring back their six pack variety (family reunion).

Also karbach, real ale

Thanks Tinhorn. That is what I'm looking for. So skip Shiner bock? Lol
you have to try a shiner bock and a lone star when you are here . Its the law! Real Ale has a coffee porter that is fantastic on tap as you like darker beers, its good in the bottle but really stands out well on tap

Despite the Texas love here let me offer some suggestions

Jester king
Karbach
Austin beer works
Real ale

It's not a beer wasteland haha

One of my favorites is Real Ale Full Moon (?) (is that right?). It's a rye pale ale, and I really love it.

Don't forget St. Arnold's. That is probably the most "famous" and with pretty solid beers. Jester King is great.

There are many great beers around Houston, Austin, and Dallas, with a few more springing up around San Antonio. You can get the best selection at a store called Spec's.

In the south, on the Texas coast, it IS a beer wasteland. You can buy decent beer at HEB, but never in a bar. All that they serve in the bars is Corona, Dos Equis, Shiner Bock, Bud, and Zwiegenbock. But if you go to a Spec's, it's like a beer nirvana. :D

One of my favorites is Real Ale Full Moon (?) (is that right?). It's a rye pale ale, and I really love it.

Don't forget St. Arnold's. That is probably the most "famous" and with pretty solid beers. Jester King is great.

There are many great beers around Houston, Austin, and Dallas, with a few more springing up around San Antonio. You can get the best selection at a store called Spec's.

In the south, on the Texas coast, it IS a beer wasteland. You can buy decent beer at HEB, but never in a bar. All that they serve in the bars is Corona, Dos Equis, Shiner Bock, Bud, and Zwiegenbock. But if you go to a Spec's, it's like a beer nirvana. :D

+1 on Specs and Yooper you are correct

Full Moon Pale Rye Ale

Tawny red and full of malt and hops, Full Moon's unique flavor truly satisfies. The smooth sweetness of malted rye and barley is complemented by generous helpings of Willamette and Cascade hops, resulting in an assertive American amber ale. (Contains rye.)

ABV: 5.70% IBU: 42.00 OG (plato): 14.00

Haha, its not that bad is it?

In Houston, downtown specs location is probably your best selection. As well as the larger Heb plus stores.

For bars, gingerman and flying saucer have the best selection in town

In Houston, downtown specs location is probably your best selection. As well as the larger Heb plus stores.

Downtown Houston Specs mother ship store is very dangerous to your wallet to go to .. Be prepared to spend more than you intended and leave without everything you want.. The prices are fine its the variety of selections that does you in!

Jester King and Prairie brewing.

Prairie makes absolutely delicious beers, probably the most exciting new(to me) brewery Ive tasted in a while.

Depending where you are headed in TX you may pass right by them in OK.

Yes, the selection IS that bad. But not at HEB. We have a very small HEB, but we can still get a decent selection. At a bar or restaurant, forget it!

Grinder, I don't know if you'll be heading that way (Texas is a BIG state), but a stop in Shiner at the brewery is really awesome. It's a great old building with lovely grounds and 4 tastings (I think). The tour is wonderful. It's worth doing.

If you'll be in Houston, St. Arnold's would be a nice stop.

Are you going with other beer lovers? If it's family thing, and it's not a "beercation", you probably have to prioritize.

Dallas. McKinney to be exact and no, I won't try Shiner, been there done that. I'd rather drink New Glarus Spotted Cow which around here is wedding beer. I'm the only real beer drinker. Wine and cocktails surround me.

This I just need good craft beer stores around Dallas McKinney.

Dallas. McKinney to be exact and no, I won't try Shiner, been there done that. I'd rather drink New Glarus Spotted Cow which around here is wedding beer. I'm the only real beer drinker. Wine and cocktails surround me.

This I just need good craft beer stores around Dallas McKinney.

Spec's would be the choice.

It's too bad you're not willing to try some unusual things from Shiner that are really quite good but not distributed up by you, and prefer a cream ale instead. You're missing out by limiting yourself.

Franconia Brewery is in McKinney. I haven’t been there myself, but I hear it’s a good tour.

For package you’re probably going to have to go to Plano, either Spec’s or Total Wine.

Back