Traditional Mead Q's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveVanO

Reaction score
While i am making JAOM and JWGM, along with apfelwein etc. I also want to make a traditional mead or 2, to experiment with in the secondary. One will most likely just stay traditional and the other will probably be racked onto some fruit of choice just to see.

For a recipe. I was thinking: (1gallon batch)
4lbs honey
Water (obviously)
EC-1118 yeast
nutrients and energizer

My main Question would be, which honeys would you prefer a traditional is made with? I can get clover for 2.80/lb at a grocery store (which im using for all other meads), but I might mix it up and try a different honey, whether I can get it online or find it somewhere near me. My LHBS has 1 kind of honey and when i asked, it said its just normal raw honey from a local that they overprice for. Any suggestions on some spectacular honeys to use?

Would this recipe work? and when it comes time to rack onto secondary. Should i backsweeten with more honey or leave as is and see how it turns out in the long run?
Thanks a lot :tank:

Personally I would not go more than 3lb honey. You are looking at a possible 14%ABV with 3 lb and 18%ABV with 4 lb. Make sure to use a good bottled water, R.O. water or distilled water. For a traditional I would rather Lalvin K1-V1116. 1118 is a fast fermenting hard yeast that will blow aromatics out the airlock.

For what kind if honey, it is up to you. Orange blossom honey is a common one used. If you can get your hands on meadowfoam honey then you can make a nice traditional. But late harvest dark wildflower honeys can do really well too. Just google verietal honey and look at what is out there and their descriptions. If one apeels to you then see where all you can get it for the best price. Take your time because in traditional meads honey is everything so look around and have fun.

thanks for the answer. ill stick to 3lbs of honey. mm meadowfoam sounds delicious!!! Gonna need to order some of that for a traditional

Back