Wanted: DFH Raison D'etre All Grain Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultravista

Reaction score
Has anyone brewed a near perfect clone of DFH's Raison D'etre?

I have Sam's book, and the recipe for D.E. but I'm not sure it's the real-deal.

Looking for an all grain recipe and comments on the recipe published in the book.

Sam seems like a pretty straight forward guy. I have the book laying around somewhere, but from what I remember, nothing from the recipe seemed odd.

Raison is a pretty raison-forward. Will 8 ounces really contribute that much in a five gallon batch?

Raison is a pretty raison-forward. Will 8 ounces really contribute that much in a five gallon batch?

I used 1 pound of raisins in a 5-gallon batch that had approximately 15 lbs of grains in it. It was way to winey for my tastes to be considered enjoyable.

I don't know how the book suggests using them, but I shredded mine and threw them into secondary for a few months.

I have a clone recipe of this somewhere ill try to find it later and post it , three to four months of aging it was awesome not so good fresh.

There is an extract version in Extreme Brewing. Yoou could convert that to all grain. As I recall it uses 6 oz pureed raisins for the last 10 minutes of the boil.

Here is the recipe I got

14 lbs of 2 row
1/2 lb crystal 60
1/4 lb chocolate malt
1/2 lb belgain candy sugar 10 min
6 oz golden raisins (purée with 2 cups of wort then add to boil kettle)
1oz warrior
1/2 oz vanguard at flameout
W/yeast 3522
You must bottle condition for at least 3 months needs time to mellow out

It didn't taste good newly carbed so I let it sit for a couple months and it was outstanding, your guess is as good as mine

Wow, a pound of raisins, that sounds interesting. The recipe only calls for 6 oz, why go with so much?

Here is the recipe I got

14 lbs of 2 row
1/2 lb crystal 60
1/4 lb chocolate malt
1/2 lb belgain candy sugar 10 min
6 oz golden raisins (purée with 2 cups of wort then add to boil kettle)
1oz warrior
1/2 oz vanguard at flameout
W/yeast 3522
You must bottle condition for at least 3 months needs time to mellow out

I just bought a six pack of the DFH Raison D'Etre after reading about it on their website. Is you recipe a pretty reasonable facsimile?

Yeah, I want to know too. It's a great beer - but the Indian Brown I made from the book was close, but not that close.

Back