magic hat #9

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uglygoat

Reaction score
had a few pints of this the weekedn before the fourth.

i've made pale ale's that taste as good if not better.

i need a marketing team :)

anyone else impressed, or not?

Not impressed. I enjoyed the magic hat products in the early 90's, and have found over the years that there are far superior products out on the market to meet my taste. IMHO I find Magic Hat to be highly phenolic and over-rated.

On as side note they do have very cool marketing, and gimmicks, tchotcke, etc....

#9 is one of those beers that I thought was great when I was 21 but at this point don't drink anymore... It's not that it's a bad tasting beer, it can actually be pretty good ice cold on a hot day, but there's just so many other beers of the same style that I'd rather drink for the same price or cheaper. If you want, IMO, a better version of #9 try Ithaca Apricot Wheat.

cnbudz said:
#9 is one of those beers that I thought was great when I was 21 but at this point don't drink anymore... It's not that it's a bad tasting beer, it can actually be pretty good ice cold on a hot day, but there's just so many other beers of the same style that I'd rather drink for the same price or cheaper. If you want, IMO, a better version of #9 try Ithaca Apricot Wheat.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there. I do admit that I used to be a huge fan of the #9, but have since moved on to greener pastures I guess, but to say that Ithaca Apricot Wheat is better is ludicrous! It is way too fruity for my taste. I enjoy the subtlety of the apricot in the #9, but I guess to each his own. Just wanted to throw in my 2¢ in here. Cheers!

skeeordye11 said:
Yeah, I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there. I do admit that I used to be a huge fan of the #9, but have since moved on to greener pastures I guess, but to say that Ithaca Apricot Wheat is better is ludicrous! It is way too fruity for my taste. I enjoy the subtlety of the apricot in the #9, but I guess to each his own. Just wanted to throw in my 2¢ in here. Cheers!

That's why I said In My Opinion... I think the apricot taste in #9 tastes kinda fake...

so what is #9 supposed to be? they say it's all mysterious etc, but it tasted like a session beer to me. ;)

i'd never had it till recenetly and i'm thirty, when i was 19 i was slammin the beast and natty light via the over pumped keg.... :mug:

uglygoat said:
so what is #9 supposed to be? they say it's all mysterious etc, but it tasted like a session beer to me. ;)

i'd never had it till recenetly and i'm thirty, when i was 19 i was slammin the beast and natty light via the over pumped keg.... :mug:

It is suposed to be a fruit beer, I find it far from a fruit beer, I had it about a month ago on tap and found it far from a fruit beer, I was very disapointed.

uglygoat said:
so what is #9 supposed to be? they say it's all mysterious etc, but it tasted like a session beer to me.

i'd never had it till recenetly and i'm thirty, when i was 19 i was slammin the beast and natty light via the over pumped keg

30 as well:mug: and at 19 I was doing the same thing, though it was often Beast Ice instead of normal Beast... (side note: Over consumption of Beast Ice can result in waking up next to a member of the Uconn women's rugby team who can bench press more than you can:drunk: :eek: )

It was "mysterious" when it came out because there weren't many(if any) other apricot flavored micros that were readily available back then. There were some blueberry and rasberry ones... Combine that with the cool labels and you have a tasty, semi-original, easy to drink micro that you can get people to pay $8 per 6 pack for. Again, not a bad beer, just not the best for the style/price, IMO...

It also seems as though as Magic Hat has gotten bigger their quality has suffered a bit... And, I miss Blind Faith:(

Back