Help with IPA grain bill.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

demzly

Reaction score
Hi I am making this IPA at the weekend and am caught between a speciality malt to use.

3.18kg LME (was cheap on offer)
200g Crystal 60
100g CaraMunich
-Do I need both/should I use both?

60 mins 35g Columbus 16%AA
20mins 30g EKG 6.5%
7mins 20g EKG
Dry hop 7 days with 10G EKG + 10G Coloumbus

Danstar Nottingham yeast

Any suggestions to a noobs recipe will be noted
Thanks

Just too add I have all in all 500G of both malts and 100G of both hops if that is any help, So i am generally easy on what quantities

Damn metric system! Is this a 5 gallon ->18.5L batch? If you have some brewing software I would suggest entering you r values to get an idea of you OG, IBU, and color. There is free brewing software out there like qbrew and brewtarget.

Damn metric system! Is this a 5 gallon ->18.5L batch? If you have some brewing software I would suggest entering you r values to get an idea of you OG, IBU, and color. There is free brewing software out there like qbrew and brewtarget.

Ha sorry yes i am one of them english

yes it will be 4uk gallons so around 18L

just wondering for suggestions as Iv put it in on beersmith and hopville's thingy and it looks not bad on there, but im a relative noobie to this so I wouldnt mind some human input

Ha sorry yes i am one of them english

yes it will be 4uk gallons so around 18L

just wondering for suggestions as Iv put it in on beersmith and hopville's thingy and it looks not bad on there, but im a relative noobie to this so I wouldnt mind some human input

thanks for all the feedback :/

My opinion is going to be based on my California (san diego specifically) IPA tastes. DRY DRY DRY with VERY MINIMAL "SWEETNESS" IN THE BACKGROUND. ok I'll stop shouting. I follow Vinny Cilurzo's (brewer at Russian River if you are in England and not aware, maybe regarded as the foremost expert on how to brew a good IPA) set of rules. Keep the Crystal malts at 5% of the total grist or below. So between your crystal 60L and caramunich I wouldn't let them add up above 5%. Vinnie usually uses 40L as a standard... don't think he ever goes above, and neither do I. Add 5% Carapils/dextrine for a touch of body and good head retention. The rest of the 90% is just pale base malt. His IPA malt grists are not comlex. Malt get out of the way and let the hops do their thing! I like to keep my SRM color between 5-7. Light golden.

Then again I recently brewed an IPA using 2-Row, with small amounts of Aromatic, Biscuit, and Wheat and it was one of the best beers I'v ever tasted (mostly cause we hopped the $#it out of it with some great hops), but keeping the beer dry (FG ~1.010), with reduced sugary sweetness from being under-attenuated is a huge key (east coast breweries need to learn that).

Back