Attempting a bourbon bbl quad... looking for reassurance!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theodore

Reaction score
Hi all,

Been a lurker for a bit, and this is my first thread here...

I'm looking to make a Bourbon Barrel Quad and wanted to make sure I'm thinking correctly here/ absorbing what advice I can. Here's what I'm thinking:

Quad extract kits... any suggestions? In consideration are (extract kits):
Northern Brewer - The Number 8 Kit
Austin Home Brew - Belgian Trappist Ale Quadrupel
Austin Home Brew - La Trappe Quadrupel
Williams - Belgian Quad

I am in the process of building a stirplate, but don't see that finishing up anytime in the short term... Will a double dose of Wyeast smack pack be an ok sub?

I was planning of brewing, let it do its thing in primary, then when that is done, move to secondary. I want to buy one of the used 5 gallon bourbon barrels that you see pop up. After it has been in secondary for a bit, I'll transfer to the bourbon barrel. I've done some snooping, looks like you don't want to let it sit in there for tooo long, so maybe a month or so in there, and then bottle.

Does that sound ok to you all? Am I missing anything obvious?

Thanks!

I'm about to do the same with a Belgian Brown...and I'm gonna through some Wyeast Roselare bugs in too. I have two barrels so one will be for bugs and one will be no bugs.

I think you might be able to go longer in the barrel with a quad, but I'd sample it along the way. Also, the bourbon might be a big overpowering so you might need to cut back the time for the first few batches until it becomes a "beer barrel".

Yeah, I've read that the bourbon zing fades with time and use of the bbl. I'd like to do one of these and then a porter in there as well. I'm a big fan of the Boulevard Bourbon Barrel Quad "BBQ" and that has a good bourbon bite!

boulevard mixes aged beer with young beer to create different flavors in the bottle! i say go for it!! i live in KC.......so if you need help building that stir plate just hit me up!!

I think I just need some flux for soldering. I'm having a hard time getting the solder to connect two pins on the circuit board I bought at radio shack.

Back