Wyeast Smack Pack without Nutrients?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopherM

Reaction score
I was about to make a Patersbier and found out that my Wyeast Trappist High Gravity smack pack does not have the nutrient pack in it. I've used the smack packs before, so I'm very familiar on what should be in there, and it's just not there.

They state on the Wyeast site that you can pitch without the nutrients. What do you think? I was thinking I need to now make a starter for this yeast.

It doesn't matter if the nutrient pack breaks or not, so it doesn't matter if it's in there. It seems weird it wouldn't be in there, though!

Go ahead and make a starter as usual. It'll be fine.

The nutrients don't substitute for a starter anyway. There's not enough nutrient to provide much cell growth. It's only a way to assess the viability of the yeast. Just go ahead and make a starter as you normally would (or should!).

I'd use it in a starter fine.

After you pitch it to the starter, open up the bag and make sure it wasn't in there all along. It's possible that it was already "smacked" or opened prior to you getting it.

Back