Corny kegs for Keezers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerBoy2011

Reaction score
I notice most of the guys in the forum have to add more height to their freezers.. what dimensions are the wood you guys are using?

its not the cornies, its running real taps, or putting CO2/cornies on the compressor hump that requires collaring.

I've seen 2x4 and 2x8 both used for the collar build, just depending on how you tackle it. 2x4 works if you are just putting the collar on the current lip. 2x8 if you want it to slip around the current freezer and slide down an inch. I've seen em both ways.

Me? I never put a collar on my first keezer, and unless I want to add read tap handles I won't do it on my current keezer either. I don't mind the picnic taps.

I used 2x8 in pine wood for the collar cut to fit the outer dimensions of the edge of the top of the freezer. I then attached a piece of 1x4 alongs the outer bottom edge of the 2x8 to encompass the edge of the freezer. Used some weather stripping to create a good seal and this way the collar is not permanentky attached to the freezer top.

Thanks guys! I have another question.. bare with me.. I'ma rookie at the handy stuff.. What CO2 tank would you recommend for 3 to 4 kegs?

Thanks guys! I have another question.. bare with me.. I'ma rookie at the handy stuff.. What CO2 tank would you recommend for 3 to 4 kegs?

I'd get one as large as you can comfortably afford and/or fit into your space. Bigger C02 tanks = more gas and more time between refills.

Are you planning to store the C02 tank inside or outside of the keezer? This will impact your tank sizing decision.

I'd get one as large as you can comfortably afford and/or fit into your space. Bigger C02 tanks = more gas and more time between refills.

Are you planning to store the C02 tank inside or outside of the keezer? This will impact your tank sizing decision.

I want to put the tank inside the freezer to keep it from getting warm.

Shouldn't this be in the kegging/bottling forum section? There's some items there about putting co2 tanks in the keezers too, it seems a lot of people use 5 pounds on the inside, I don't recall if I've seen 10. Larger seems to be outside tanks or a larger keezer.

I used 2x3 for my Keezer collar. I think I might be the only one. You can read about it in the link in my signiture if you want. It is the perfect size if you use a GE 5.0 cf freezer and I'm pretty sure it would work with any GE freezers since they probably all use the same hinge. The 5.0cf GE freezer will only fit 2 Cory Kegs on the floor plus 5# CO2 tank and a carboy (or a 3 gallon keg) on the hump unless you use a much taller collar, then you could get a 3rd corny keg on the hump along with the CO2 tank.

I notice most of the guys in the forum have to add more height to their freezers.. what dimensions are the wood you guys are using?

The current issue of BYO has a how to with parts list and pictures. Definitely worth getting as you plan. The article actually inspired me to make this my major project before upgrading to all grain.

The collar I built last weekend in made from 1x8s. This gives me enough height to put more stuff on the hump (2 kegs or my 10# tank and 1 keg) as well as an easy way to run hoses & faucets.

I would not worry about the tank getting warm if it is outside the freezer, though having it inside the freezer makes running the gas hose a bit easier (less holes to drill).

Back