Coopers and hops question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petey_c

Reaction score
I've got 1/2 oz. each (aprox.) of Kent Goldings and Challenger and 1/4 oz. of Fuggles left over from other recipes. I'd like to us them in a Coopers Heritage Lager. Any suggestions? pete

When I do Coopers kits (I do them often) I always add an OZ of hops pellets at the end of the boil. (I like Centennial)

The kits are pre-hopped, so unless you're bumping up the fermentables it'll be bitter enough. I like a little bit of aroma.

I figured I'd use the hops since they're sitting around unemployed. I wanted to see how they'd affect the flavor of the beer.

End of boil won't affect flavor, just aroma. (Well, it might affect flavor a little as there's still plenty of heat.)

You're not really supposed to boil hopped extract kits. If you wanted some flavor hops, you could probably boil a little of the extract for 10-15 minutes with some hops, then add some more when you kill the heat and add the rest of the extract.

EKGs and Fuggles would work good for either position, more so than Challenger (although this may be a matter of taste).

McG, I guess I could make up a weakened wort (H2O/LME blend) boil it for 15 minutes with the hops, then add it to the rest. I'm still l doing kits and have left over hops. I don't want have them go to waste sitting in my beer fridge.

The Coopers kits have two cans, 1 of hopped malt extract and another of Coopers Light (unhopped) LME. I used that can and three quarts of water. Brought it to a boil and added the Kent and Fuggles for a 20 minute boil. Then followed the rest of the directions. It felt a little strange not having any grains though. I'll have forgotten about that when I'm drinking them...

Back