Milk Stout with Real Milk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For what it's worth, I made a Malted Milk Ball stout with 1lb malted milk powder instead of lactose and it was awesome. I added cocoa too to try and get that Whoppers flavor

Honestly... It's threads like this that make me, as a creative home brewer wanting to try anything, not want to use these forums for advice. Because you guys in a real "as a matter of fact" way told this guy repeatedly that he can't use milk because blah blah then mock the question. But if you actually continue to read, apparently some brewers have tried it with success... So to those who HAVE tried it and know what they're really talking about... What amounts of whey or milk or whatever did you use?

Honestly... It's threads like this that make me, as a creative home brewer wanting to try anything, not want to use these forums for advice. Because you guys in a real "as a matter of fact" way told this guy repeatedly that he can't use milk because blah blah then mock the question. But if you actually continue to read, apparently some brewers have tried it with success...

Did anyone mention trying it with success? I saw a few mention fermented milk asian drinks.. not really the same as adding milk to beer.

Honestly... It's threads like this that make me, as a creative home brewer wanting to try anything, not want to use these forums for advice. Because you guys in a real "as a matter of fact" way told this guy repeatedly that he can't use milk because blah blah then mock the question. But if you actually continue to read, apparently some brewers have tried it with success... So to those who HAVE tried it and know what they're really talking about... What amounts of whey or milk or whatever did you use?

This is hilarious!!! Just made milk shoot out of my nose!!! ;)

Honestly...seems like there was plenty of interesting discussion on this and a few people chimed in with some historical data. I'm not really sure, after reading through this whole thread, anyone had much more to add then what was already here. :mug:

Did anyone mention trying it with success? I saw a few mention fermented milk asian drinks.. not really the same as adding milk to beer.

Jrnuttle used skim milk, moops used whey. Both sounded like it was successful. But it'd be interesting to know they're recipe and or amounts for a 5 gal batch.

Honestly... It's threads like this that make me, as a creative home brewer wanting to try anything, not want to use these forums for advice.

There is but one solution to that conundrum.

But seriously:D

It really is terrible that some folks suggested that the OP's idea was not the best 6 years ago. We as a forum should hang our heads in collective shame.

I recently brewed a clone of Left Hand's Milk Stout. While I didn't see the virtue of using real milk (for all of the previously mentioned reasons), in order to stay true to an overly literal understanding of the original, I added the left hand of my firstborn for the last 10 minutes of the boil.

I'm curious about trying evaporated fat free milk late in the boil. Any thoughts?

I'm curious about trying evaporated fat free milk late in the boil. Any thoughts?

I'm going to revive this due to my recent brew. Recipe stated to add creme de cacao. Knowing nothing about liquor, through the suggestion of the guy at the liquor store, and what I stumbled upon with a quick Google search, I added a Godiva white chocolate liqueur. Emailed the company with questions pertaining to it and being impatient without waiting for a response, I added it. Just got back to me today, what do you know, there is cream and a good amount of fats in it. Popped the lid on the fermenter as soon as I read it, and despite what seemed a somewhat active fermentation, there's little to no krausen and curds floating around the top. I don't know if I should dump it or just say what the hell and finish it out. I have no idea if the protein clumps will eventually dissipate , if it will get infected, if head retention is forever gone, or if it will even taste good

once gave my non beer drinking friend a coffee stout, he opened the fridge and poured in milk like it was coffee and said it wasn't bad after the milk

After alot of consideration, I was advised, and decided to go through and keep the batch I mentioned prior in this thread. I bottled it last night. I had it cold crashing for 3 days prior to this. I tasted it and it tasted fine. Nothing hinted of major off flavor or infection to the best of my knowledge. Even woke up my girl to try it and she concurred. OG was 1.062 and FG was 1.006. I took the beer down about 1-2 inches above the arm before stopping it so as to try to avoid any oil floating on the top. The racking arm in the SS Brew Bucket was a godsend. Initial pour had a tiny bit of curdled sediment. I kept the valve slightly turned, flushed for a few seconds, closed it, set the bottling bucket up in such a way that I created two U-bends in the hose to help catch any loose sediment, then I barely opened the valve. As far as I can tell it worked well. The pics are what was waiting under the remaining beer in the fermenter. That is pure curds and it was nasty. I'll keep this updated the next few weeks to let you guys know how it turns out in the bottles

View attachment 1488210932490.jpg

View attachment 1488210948696.jpg

View attachment 1488210960407.jpg

So I brewed a chocolate stout and decided to use some Godiva chocolate liquor as an additive during the secondary transfer. If I would've known what I was dealing with, I probably would not have added this. It's currently sitting for a few days now and has mostly separated, but not completely. I think when I transfer to the bottling bucket, I will have to use some coffee filters to try and rid of anything that didn't separate.

More info about the results of that "chocolate stout" mentioned above.

I brewed a stout a few months back and piggy backed a Dragon's Silk Recipe (bourbon stout). That recipe called for about 12oz of bourbon to be soaked in oak chips the night before racking into secondary. That one came out pretty good, so I brewed another batch, but made some modifications. It was to be more of a chocolaty beer. I wanted it to be as chocolaty as possible, so I though why not soak the french oak chips in Godiva chocolate liquor? It did not occur to me that it was cream based at the time. I also added some Grand Marnier to the soak. To my dismay, the liquor seemed to curdle a bit and was very strange going into the secondary the next day. I stayed the course and continued on even though a I had a bad feeling about the outcome. After it was bottled, I waited a week or so. The beer was a bit strange, and you could see a small amount of cloud-like substance at the base of the neck of the bottles, hard to describe honestly. Anyway, it tasted ok. I saved one for a few months and drank it with my brother. That was some of the best brew I've ever made!! It just needed some time to age. Once I tasted that, we decided we needed to get started on this year's Thanksgiving Pumpkin Spice Porter asap. It needs to age a few months. Hope this helps.

Back