Experimental Recipe: Belgian CandiWine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EinGutesBier

Reaction score
Some of you may be disgusted, some of you may be puzzled and others just plain outraged, but I have a tentative idea for an experimental brew. After make some inconic Belgian favorites true to form, and others to my personal liking, I've decided I'd like to step all over style guidelines and try something different. Here's what I'm thinking.

Though I haven't drawn up the specifics, here's the concept for my recipe. It'd have an SRM between a Flanders Red and an Oud Bruin, with a grain bill consisting of roughly 50% grain and the other 50% amber Belgian candi syrup. Ideally, most of the grains would have a nice toasted grain/bread flavor without being too heavy-handed. I would then use a greater amount of hops, probably Glacier for bittering and Goldings or Fuggles for flavor and aroma to offset any excessive alcohol or leftover sweetness. To avoid too many unfermented sugars, I'd use a high-attenuating yeast with some complementary phenolic or ester attributes.

I'll probably do this either way, but any input or suggestions is definitely appreciated. :mug:

I'm assuming you are going to use a Belgian yeast, correct? I wouldn't worry too much about finding a super high attenuating yeast, otherwise you will end up with too much alcohol flavor. The candi sugar should ferment out completely, so depending on the OG, expect higher attenuation than usual.

That's right, I would definitely use a Belgian yeast. Probably Wyeast Trappist if nothing better comes to mind. Another possibility is using a lower-attenuating yeast to ensure that it isn't so dry, but I'm not sure how complementary that would be.

Back