Heat Wave During Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LukeG

Reaction score
I am brewing a Strong Belgian and was going for a higher temp during primary fermentation than I ever would for other beers. It's summertime after all, and I don't have much in the way of keeping my home cool. I went through primary at 80 degrees and then racked into secondary where the beer slowly blurped away for a few weeks. Fermentation was pretty much over and I was heading out of town for a week and didn't have time to bottle. While I was gone a record heat wave hit and I'm pretty sure my brew closet hit 95. From what I am reading, this would have produced some off flavors IF fermentation was still going on. My question then, how worried should I be about those high temps since fermentation was more or less complete?

None at all....temp control is only crucial in the initial few hours of fermentation...if it was in the secondary, the beer is already fermented, meaning the yeast aren't working so they would not be stressed.

Do a search on here for swamp coolers, and you will find plenty of pics for ghetto temp control.

None at all....temp control is only crucial in the initial few hours of fermentation...if it was in the secondary, the beer is already fermented, meaning the yeast aren't working so they would not be stressed.

Do a search on here for swamp coolers, and you will find plenty of pics for ghetto temp control.

Is it only the first few hours? I make sure to maintain temps for the first week, at least.

What about Lagers? How long is the temp critical with those?

Now that my chiller is running, maintaining temps does not take any effort.

Back