Took a couple of 3rd Place finishes in this years homebrew competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Medo

Reaction score
Ahoy hoy,
Well, I entered 4 beers, and the 2 that I make for others and personally do not care for came in third in ET Barnette Homebrew Competition up here in Fairbanks.
I have a blonde wheat turned red with hibiscus flowers that took 3rd in the herbal beer, and my standard british porter took 3rd as well. I thought the Orange Cascade would fair better, but maybe I should have entered it as an APA, instead of a fruit style beer. Kay Sara Sara. I am happy I placed at all.
Just thought I would share.
A great day to you all!

Did it have actual oranges in it? If so, then you did the right thing by calling it a fruit beer.

Either way, congrats!

Care to describe the blonde/wheat/hibiscus? My interest is piqued.
I dont have it here at work, but in a nutshell, its a mildy tweaked version of blonde slayer, with about a quarter pound of hibiscus flowers added, 2 oz @ 15 min, then 2 oz "dry hopping" for lack of a term for flowers :D

I used dry orange skins that brewcraft sells for my orange cascade. a combo of both their sweet and sour. Since most folks that taste it say they can taste a citrus zing, I went with the fruit category.
Loads of fun even if you dont win.
Adios for now....

Do the hibiscus bring any flavor, or are you mostly going for the color? I hadn't heard of using them in brewing before.

By the way, congratulations on the bronzes. I'm finding out Saturday on my entries in the county fair competition.

Yo...
They do indeed impart flavor. My wife got hooked on Rosie Hibiscus, a Canadian beer, so I worked to clone it. To me, the beer tastes like a mutation between beer and wine, and all the women that taste it love it. And the beer is blood red too. Great for those Halloween parties :D
Hope that helps!

Ahoy hoy,
I got my schwagg from the homebrew contest this weekend. They ran out of 3rd place medals so thats on backorder. But I got a banner, a wall hung mirror, 4 XXL t shirts with beer logos on them, 2 hats, a glass in a wooden holder, a free subscription to draft magazine, a bunch of coasters from various breweries, a couple lbs of specialty grains, and a 50 buck gift certificate for the place I buy my grain at.
Not too shabby for 20 bucks worth of entry fees. I want to thank everyone involved if their out here. From Zymurgist Borealis, our local loose knit club, to everyone involved with the E.T. Barnette Homebrew Competition. It was hosted by Silver Gultch Brewery in Fox Alaska, where I get my artisan water for my brewing. Thanks to all of you
I bid you all a great day!
Woohoo....

Back