Increase ABV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shamrock28

Reaction score
4 lbs two row
2 lbs rice, instant

Im at 3.1% ABV (what can i put in to increase this)

Also, my SRM is at 1 (what affects this)

That's a very light bill for a 5 gal batch. You can do all kinds of things to boost the ABV.....but that beer will have a very very light taste.

If that's what you are shooting for, add 2lbs of honey at the start of the boil. Or maybe 1 lb of honey and a lb of candi sugar. Still.....I think to have any decent body at all to it.....you want at least 2 more lbs of grain. That's just my pref though....don't want to trample on a specific taste you're shooting for.

Maple syrup........brown sugar........molasses........all of these can boost ABV with slightly different taste results.

I always use honey when I want to give a brew a bit more kick......I just like the taste it imparts.

More base grain will give you more flavor and higher ABV. Corn sugar will also boost your ABV.

I think minute rice is already gelatinized, so you don't have to cook it separately.

Has anybody used minute rice, and if so, how does it compare to flaked rice?

More base grain will give you more flavor and higher ABV. Corn sugar will also boost your ABV.

I think minute rice is already gelatinized, so you don't have to cook it separately.

Has anybody used minute rice, and if so, how does it compare to flaked rice?

Latest posts

Back