Sulfur Dioxide in beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tetrylone

Reaction score
Accidentally used sulfured dried fruit in beer. Any know the consequences of this?

BTW- about two pounds were added to boil for 30 minutes.

The fermentation was SMELLY!

sulfur usually dissipates with time. You may just have to age it for a while. What type of fruit was this?

I also noticed something else that was strange. I used a blowoff hose and although there was no yeast or liquid blowoff the water in the blowoff carboy turned an opaque white color and had a PH of about 4. Interaction of water and sulfur dioxide perhaps? Any thoughts?

I also noticed something else that was strange. I used a blowoff hose and although there was no yeast or liquid blowoff the water in the blowoff carboy turned an opaque white color and had a PH of about 4. Interaction of water and sulfur dioxide perhaps? Any thoughts?

could be. If it smells like sulfur thats a good possibility although i havent made the same mistake. I'm about to brew a kolsch and the yeast produces sulfur which goes away with age. This leads me to assume that eventually it will fade in your case as well. How much canteloup did you add in? If its alot i would guess its just going to take longer.

I used 2lbs of dried cantaloupe (pulverized). The fermentation was far more vigorous than I have seen before. As a matter of fact, I observed what i would consider to be the most exothermic fermentation I have ever seen. Ambient temperature was 65 and in a period of eight hours the fermentation temperature went from 72F to 78F. I kinda freaked me out. The recipe was like this:

6lbs Organic Wheat Malt
6lbs Organic Maris Otter
2lbs Pulverized Candied Cantaloupe (30 minutes boil)
2 oz. Tettnang
Burton Ale starter.

The qort was quite good but we'll see how it turns out with the sulfur and all. The thing is I'm not exactly sure that the cantaloupe was sulfured but as far as I can tell Burton is not supposed to produce much sulfur so the only thing I can assume was that the cantaloupe was sulfured.

BTW you can buy dried fruit that does not have sulfur in it. You just want to ensure that there are no other preservatives in it instead. Also, I heard that some wineries actually add sulfur dioxide for one reason or another to their wines. Anyone care to share what they know?

BTW you can buy dried fruit that does not have sulfur in it. You just want to ensure that there are no other preservatives in it instead. Also, I heard that some wineries actually add sulfur dioxide for one reason or another to their wines. Anyone care to share what they know?

your refering to metabisulphite which is better known as campden tablets:
Campden tablets - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Latest posts

Back