hop strainer for keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brocko492

Reaction score
I have a pretty standard keggle setup with 1/2 in diameter dip tube. Recently purchased a plate chiller which is the bomb but plugs up from pellet hops (which is damn near all you can get lately), anyone have good ideas for a strainer/ diverter. I would think a screen type deal would probably plug too.

Any thoughts, pics???

Do a search for HOP STOPPER. That should bring up some good threads on DIY and commercial available options for you. I desperately need to make one myself sooner than later. I don't like clogging!

Hop Stopper

I've thrown 11oz of pellets at it with no problems. Also did 10.5oz pellets with 4oz plugs before too. No worries about utilization compared to a hop bag.

IMG_1243.jpg

IMG_1253.jpg

I wonder the same thing....I just built one and I wonder how much it's gonna suck getting all the hop particles sprayed off. I wonder how it would work if you spray off the main sludge and just stick it in the dishwasher?

I use bazooka filters, which occasionally clog if I use a lot of bittering pellets. I just hose them off in the sink, then put them through the dishwasher for the next run.

It cleans ok. After brewing, it's removed and rinsed off in the sink. Then a toothbrush is used to get the pellet hops out of the crevices. Then put it in the oven with my MLT steam/drain manifold to dry them out so mold doesn't grow. 400F for 15 min.

steam/drain manifold

I tried the hop stopper and found that it clogged when using even a few ounces of pellets. (In their defence, they accepted a return without any hassles) The solution was to use my old stainless steel bottom from my first 5-gal mash tun. This only works with leaf hops, but it works great and never gets clogged!

Greg

I should add that I use a march pump to pull the hopped wort from the keggle. The wort then goes through a cfc.

Back