Brewing Site For Folks Who Just Want To Take Notes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FOHryan

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have tried the big three options out there - Beersmith, ProMash, and Beer Tools - and I've found all of them to be a bit too much for me. Sure, I'm looking to easily track my brewing process, but I'm not looking for the pro features of these apps and I found that I was doing way too much clicking and not enough paying attention to my brew pot. So I launched http://brewnot.es as a tool for myself to simply track my process, keep track of recipes, and take notes how I wanted to take notes (not how the software forces me to). I was hoping to find a few folks on here that feel the same about the pro apps and would like to use my site for free?

Since its all online, you can take notes from any computer on the web, your recipes are still there when you drop your laptop, and you can even edit a recipe from the brew shop on your phone when you find out they don't have the hops you were counting on :)

Just hoping this tool might be helpful to some folks and would really appreciate any feedback you might have on the user experience.

Thanks guys!
-Ryan

Brew Notes - http://brewnot.es

Hi Ya'll,

Just wanted to keep the community up to date. I've added the ability to create new versions of your recipes (while being able to revert back to older versions or to look at what you've changed) and the site will now email you to remind you that a next step is upcoming (for instance, it will be time to rack to secondary tomorrow). Would love to get some feedback from anyone who can test the site out for me. Love to make it a more useful tool for us all!

Thanks!
http://brewnot.es/

Looks really good. Once I'm more familiar with my set up and readings and don't need all the bits and pieces, I'll start using it

Thanks guys! I'd really appreciate any feedback you have on the experience. Really want to make a usable tool for everyone who cares to use it :)

This looks pretty cool. I like the simplicity of the site and the way you keep track of brew sessions. I'm a pen and paper guy myself, so this appeals to me. Hope it works out for you. I registered to check it out. I'll give it a shot next brew day.

so i sign up and didnt like it, i would like to see pull down list of common ingredients that i can amend or modify to use for the recipe (with color, gravity ect), then i could go from there. I like beersmith a lot, i think its fantastic software but i would like to see something better, no luck so far

Polboy said:
so i sign up and didnt like it, i would like to see pull down list of common ingredients that i can amend or modify to use for the recipe (with color, gravity ect), then i could go from there. I like beersmith a lot, i think its fantastic software but i would like to see something better, no luck so far

The OP said he's not into the whole BeerSmith idea. He's going for simplicity. Drop down menus , color , etc. is everything he seems to be trying to avoid. This isn't competition for BeerSmith. It's more like competition for a scrap piece of paper you might write a note or two on. Glad to hear you enjoy BeerSmith though. Keep brewing.

Thanks for the feedback polboy - I appreciate any and all comments on the service! hafmpty was spot on when he reiterated that brewnot.es was created for those folks who want do WAY less clicking and don't need the advanced features of the higher-end brewing softwares. Heck, I might even ask him for permission to use that phrase he came up with: "competition for a piece of scrap paper." Perfect!

Thanks to the both of you for the feedback.

When I try to scroll down the styles on mobile phone I cant, is it not mobile friendly?

Hi Ostomo517,
I'm scrolling around using it on an iPhone5 right now and it seems to work as well as the desktop version does. What phone/operating system are you on? Let me know and I'll take a look and get it working better for you!

I just signed up. Looks similar to a spreadsheet I use to track my brewing.

FYI - it is working fine on my iPad.

I just signed up. Looks similar to a spreadsheet I use to track my brewing.

FYI - it is working fine on my iPad.

Totally! It's kind of like an online spreadsheet that is available anywhere, will allow you to track revisions, and will email you the day before you need to do something (like racking to secondary, bottling, etc).

Just a nice central location to keep stuff with a few extra features that spreadsheets can't do easily :mug:

One last thought for the evening. Would it be cool if there was a way to develop your recipes on the back end of the site, then once you've worked on it and have it just right, you could "publish" it and it would be live on some sort of front end component? Maybe each brewer has a profile page with all public posted recipes? Would be interested to hear if this seemed interesting or not. Thanks!

Back