I think I messed up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cch0830

Reaction score
I am 5 days into my first brew and went to see if there were any bubbles in my little liquid seal contraption on top of my primary fermentation bucket. There were no bubbles, so like an idiot, I pushed on the top of the bucket to see if there was any pressure built up. There was....and when I let off it created suction and sucked some of the sanitizer from the seal contraption. Is my beer ruined? I'm afraid the sanitizer will kill my yeast.

Don't worry mate,
A few drops in 5 gallon will have no effect it'll be to watered down, nor will you be able to taste it :)

Definitely ruined. What is your address and I will come and take it to the dump for you.:drunk:

PS do not worry it will be fine, those little suckers are tough. What was the sanitizer? The yeast will eat the sanitizer if it is starsan.

Good deal. The sanitizer is just that cheap stuff that came with my beginner beer kit, not starsan

Use vodka in your airlock! Suckback is a fairly common situation (not a problem though).

Good deal. The sanitizer is just that cheap stuff that came with my beginner beer kit, not starsan

What sanitizer was it? If it was chlorine based, there may be reason for concern. It wont kill your yeast or you, but chlorine, even in small quantities, causes off flavors.

I'll have to look. Don't know if it has chlorine

Don't mind if I do!

Back