suck Back Vs. Siphoning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTBrew

Reaction score
So I am in day 2 of my hard ice tea project, and I had suckback yet again on my airlock. I fill mine with vodka, and today after a few errands I noticed a good foam production in the neck, and discoloration from the tea getting into the airlock. Heres my dilemma. Do I just leave it go and not play around with it? Or should I siphon out a little bit to bring it down so the foam will not affect the airlock? In relation to the carboy, the liquid level is halfway up where the vertical portion bends to the neck
[]
/ \ ----Halfway here
[ ]

If there is foam in the airlock, then it sounds more like blowoff then suckback. In which case, if it is heavy, remove the airlock, and replace it with a blowoff tube. Just plug a tube into the stopper and put the other end of the tube into a jar or glass of either water or sanitizer. Make sure to sanitize the tube before you plug it in, but this will act as an airlock while allowing any blowoff out without contaminating the airlock.

Back