Hop extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chimone Theo

Reaction score
Has anyone out there used any hop extracts recently. I bought an ounce from the hbrew store in town for 20$!!! The guy in there didn't know what strain they were or the alpha acid but you can taste two drops in a pint of bmc type beers. How should i calculate using them instead of just spiking yellow fizzy bmc beers?

I don't know much about hop extract other than the rumors/truths that the biggies use it even though they deny it. I do wonder if you get hop extract twang from it though like you do with malt extract.

:tank:

er...it's kinda important to know the stats on the extract to calc the dosage.

If you have no way of finding out, I would do a small test batch with the extract as the only addition (and @ 60m) and eval the results against a known recipe to get a round about guage of what kinda IBUs you threw in. Adjust accordingly then scale to your full size batch.

Is this an aroma oil or a bittering extract? Bittering extracts should have some indication of the concentration, aroma oils won't.

It sounds like you have the hop oil not the extract. It's very hard for homebrewers to get the extract. The oil is nice for adding hop flavor and aroma to beers but does not add bitterness. Try using a few drops at bottling and go from there. If you keg you could just pop the top and add more if needed.

The hop oil is usually a mix of flavor and aroma hops. Freshops.com has an oil and it tells which hops are used.

If you do have the extract tell me where to get some. The extract should have the AA% on the bottle.

The directions say 1/8 tsp per 5 gal is 1 IBU. The 2 oz bottle will add 16 IBU to 30 gallons.

Extracts don't contain alpha acids, they contain iso-alpha acids (or maybe tetra-). Which is to say they are pre-converted, dissolved & ready to add. The whole AA%/utilization concept does not apply.

Nice, thanks all for the info. I ususally use whole hops from freshops so this stuff was a bit from the norm for me. after a bit of detective work i found out it was isohop from morebeer. It is intended for adjusting bitterness after fermentation not really creating it before hand. I actually tasted a drop of it and it was the most bitter s#%t i've ever tasted. Not recommended for flavoring or aroma! I also found a lengthy calculation table for ibu calculation on morebeer as well. Thanks again yall.

Back