Pickled Eggs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperiorBrew

Reaction score
It was too windy to go fishing today so I made a batch of pickled eggs. These are sweeter with less vinegar that the ones you get in the bars. I took some on a fishing weekend and everyone wanted more.

Pickled Eggs

30 Hard Boiled Eggs (peeled)
3 cups Sugar
3 Bay Leafs
18 Whole Cloves
2 Large Vidalia Onions – Sliced
4 1/2 cups White Vinegar
1 1/2 cups Water
1 1/2 tsp. Salt

Put 1/2 of the onion in the middle of the eggs and 1/2 on top of the eggs. Mix the other items in a pan and bring to a boil. Pour over eggs and onions. Put a lid on top and place in refrigerator. Your Pickled Eggs are ready to eat after 3 days.

Egg Boiling Tips

Use older eggs. An egg that is about a week old or older is easier to peel than one that is fresh
Take the eggs out of the fridge for half an hour prior to cooking them. This reduces the amount shock of temperature change when the eggs are boiled, therefore reducing the amount of cracks in the shells, and seems to be helpful to make the egg easier to peel.
Fill your pot with cold water to cover over the eggs by about one inch, do not overfill with water or overcrowd the eggs.

Cover your pot with a tight fitting lid, set your pot on the stove and turn the burner to high. Plan for approximately 6 minutes to bring the pot to boiling.

As soon as you get large bubbles and steam, take the pot off of the burner and move it over to a burner that's turned off. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of salt over the water and eggs. (This will help make your eggs easier to peel.)

Let the eggs sit in the hot water, covered for 30 minutes to finish cooking

Carefully drain the hot water off of the pot and add cold water and ice cubes back into the pot. This will prevent the greenish ring from forming around the yolk. Leave your eggs to cool for about 30 minutes.
Remove the eggs one by one and gently crack their shells by tapping them lightly on a hard surface. Be careful not to smack them too hard or you are likely to whack them wide open. You want to create a lot of cracks, so that the surface of the egg feels quite broken and fragile almost. Return each egg (once you have cracked the surface) to the bowl of water for another 10 minutes or so to allow a bit of water to seep under the shell to help facilitate peeling.

Double Batch.
2941742990101759406S600x600Q85.jpg

Brine just before bringing to a boil.
2853701310101759406S600x600Q85.jpg

I usually put them in a half gallon or gallon jar but this batch is to give away.
2486969980101759406S600x600Q85.jpg

You forgot the crushed red pepper flakes. YUMMY!

I will toss some in a few of the jars to try next time :)

Do you refrigerate your unopened cans?

There is not as much vinegar in these, they need to be refrigerated all the time.

mmm, those sound wonderful. My niece would love these for her birthday, how well does the recipe halve?

I figure they are canned, should be shelf stable right?

If they get pressure canned under the proper pressure and time, the temperature goes high enough to kill Botulinum spores. Water bath canning doesn't get nearly high enough. The pH is a factor as noted by Superior, and the target pH is < 4.6.

You should be able to cut the recipe in half just fine, I doubled the last batch.

They really are not canned, they just have the hot liquid dumped over the eggs and onion, they do not get put in a canner of pressure cooker. I would think if you did you would wind up with egg salad :D

made a batch tonight. left out the bay leave and cloves and put in garlic cloves, red pepper, onion salt and crush black pepper.

Back