Help on ordering online....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiwi_Jonno

Reaction score
I was going to order online (cheaper) for an Indian Pale Ale, and another Nut Brown Ale. The guy recommended these. One thing I noted was the can kits are pre-hopped. Is this a waste since im boiling the malt? Or will it be ok since im adding the hops? Any suggestions will be great, many thanks...

Black Rock East India Pale Ale x 1.5kg
1kg Lt malt
30g Cascade hop
Us 56 yeast

Muntons Nut Brown Ale x 1.8kg
1 kg Lt Malt
30g Fuggle hop
Us 56 yeast

I think you'll be okay. You will be boiling out the hop flavor/scent, but you will still get bitterness from the prehopped cans, and you can get the scent/flavor from your "normal" hop additions.

I think 1 KG of malt extract isn't very much, though. I'd guess that for a 4.5-5% ABV beer, you'd need 3.5 KGs of liquid extract for a 5 gallon (US) batch.

YooperBrew said:
I think 1 KG of malt extract isn't very much, though. I'd guess that for a 4.5-5% ABV beer, you'd need 3.5 KGs of liquid extract for a 5 gallon (US) batch.

Do you think I should get an extra 1kg of malt extract, so each batch has another half kg? So batch #1 would be 3kg batch #2 would be 3.3kg 4.5% to 5% alc is ok by me though.

Yooper - should I brew the can (even though prehopped) for 1hr still? The last (still fermenting) batch was all malt and hops, no prehopped cans. This should work out as good?

YooperBrew said:

Reread his recipes Yoop. He is using the prehopped cans plus the 1 kg malt extract. So the IPA recipe has 2.5 kg total, and the brown has 2.8 kg total.

Kiwi_Jonno said:
Do you think I should get an extra 1kg of malt extract, so each batch has another half kg? So batch #1 would be 3kg batch #2 would be 3.3kg 4.5% to 5% alc is ok by me though.

Yooper - should I brew the can (even though prehopped) for 1hr still? The last (still fermenting) batch was all malt and hops, no prehopped cans. This should work out as good?

I don't think adding another half kg to each recipe would be a bad thing.

As far as boiling, what is your hop schedule? If you add all the hops at 60 min you are going to be boiling out all the flavor. But if you add 20 g at the beginning of the boil, then 10 g with 5 min left you will be left with a lot more hop flavor and aroma (but less bitterness).

Well last time it was about 20g with 60min left, and 10g with 15min left. Am new to this, but thinking it should be a more balanced beer?

If I didn't use the pre-hopped cans, but straight malt extract, would this make a difference? Am just thinking it would be a shame if the pre-hopped kits hops are getting boiled away. Or would this still provide some hop flavour etc compared to just extra liquid malt extract?

Perhaps I should have worded the last bit differently...

Would the beer taste better/worse/same if...

1) Used the above recipes with the pre-hopped kits and boiled with additional hops for 1hr... put some hops in at say 60min left and 15min lft.

2) Replaced the pre-hopped kit for the same amount of malt extract. And used perhaps additional hops.

PS: I have about 40-50g of Hallertau (8.5%) pellet hops that will be 1month old come brew day in fridge that could be used.

:)

Well, you were posting in the middle of the night!!!! ;)

I'm sorry- I'm a bit thick on the extract. I didn't mean to confuse others as well as myself.

If you're using prehopped extract, the bitterness will still be there, but you won't know exactly how much in IBUs you're getting. So, I wouldn't add any more hops at 60 minutes (or at least, I'd add very little), and use the hops in the "regular" amounts for flavoring and aroma additions. I'd do like 15 minutes and 5 minutes, or flameout additions. In fact, for the IPA I'd add the cascades at 15, 10 and flame out.

For the nut brown, I'd add maybe some 15 minutes and 5 minutes fuggles.

I like the idea of having a total of 3 KGs extract (or thereabouts) in each batch, but especially for the IPA. Otherwise, it'll be pretty "light" and not very balanced.

YooperBrew said:
Well, you were posting in the middle of the night!!!! ;)

I'm sorry- I'm a bit thick on the extract. I didn't mean to confuse others as well as myself.

If you're using prehopped extract, the bitterness will still be there, but you won't know exactly how much in IBUs you're getting. So, I wouldn't add any more hops at 60 minutes (or at least, I'd add very little), and use the hops in the "regular" amounts for flavoring and aroma additions. I'd do like 15 minutes and 5 minutes, or flameout additions. In fact, for the IPA I'd add the cascades at 15, 10 and flame out.

For the nut brown, I'd add maybe some 15 minutes and 5 minutes fuggles.

I like the idea of having a total of 3 KGs extract (or thereabouts) in each batch, but especially for the IPA. Otherwise, it'll be pretty "light" and not very balanced.

Oh I forget the time difference.... it was 9pm NZ time when I posted the last couple of posts!

I think the pre-hopped kit has the IBU number on it, but I'd say it would be out by the time I add extra malt etc. Thanks for the feedback on adding hops later in the boil time. It didn't occur to me the bitterness from the kit would still be retained. I will go for the extra malt to so its closer to 3kgs malt total.

The Saflager S-23 yeast I used the last 2x batches seems to take an age to form a solid, or even semi-solid yeast cake in the bottom of the bottle. After 4 weeks in the bottle its still very flakey.

Is the "Us 56 yeast" a better choice for getting a tighter yeast cake? The Muntons Yeast I used seemed very good in this regard. Though like others have said it doesn't ferment right out and stalls...

Also - if I add hops only with say 15min left , is there still point in boiling for an hour?

Back