A ton of carbonation ( Bottled )

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustangj

Reaction score
I bottled my IPA a week and a half ago. I opened a bottle and pour it in to a glass the hole glass was filled with foam. The beer had a ton of carbonation.

Will it go away with time?

No, not usually. The only way it will seem to be less is if you chill them for quite a while (like at least a few days). That seems to help a bit because the co2 that's in the bottle dissolves more in the beer.

You might have some reasons why it's overcarbed- bottling too early, an infection, etc. and if that's the case, I'm sorry to say it'll get worse with time. Let us know your process and amounts of priming sugar, and maybe we can help for next time.

5gal
1 week in the primary
2 weeks in the secondary and then bottled
Boiled 5oz of dextrose cool to room temp then dumped into bottle bucket bottled then caped.

Well, that sounds right! What was your sg and your fg and the type of yeast? (And was the dextrose solution stirred well into the bottling bucket?) I pour my cooled priming solution into the bucket and then rack the beer into it without splashing, putting the tip under the solution so it "swirls" and mixes up. My thought is that the priming solution didn't mix well, and you might have some bottles overcarbed and some undercarbed.

Carbonation and head are 2 different things. Hop proteins make the head very large. To help with this: chill the beer and glass in the fridge to the same temp, and pour very slowly, down the side for the whole beer. Not the standard method of tilting the glass straight for the last 25% or so. If the head still foams up, give it time to settle, then pour the rest.
Patience is a big thing with high protein beers. But you will appreciate the carbonation it does have when the bubbles carry delicious hop aroma to your nose.
I'm getting thirsty!!

not knowing the gravities...it may have been bottled prematurely.

did you have a full 5 gallons of beer that you bottled? or did you lose some during multiple rackings? if so, and you were down to say 4.5gallons, 5oz of priming is gonna god's plenty carbonation, coupled with extreme head building/retention...you'd see a lot o' foam.

Not knowing the gravities, it is impossible to know if it was done fermenting...just take it as a lesson learned. However, my suspicion is that the priming sugar was not mixed properly. I would still get them all in the fridge for some cold conditioning, but I would bet you end up with some that aren't hardly carbed at all.

Mustangj said:
Should I have stird the suger in?
(When I bottled), I would position the racking tube from the secondary into the bottling bucket in such a way as to create a slow whirlpool. Then as soon as the beer started flowing, I'd add the priming solution.

The whirlpool effect along with one or two gentle, but thorough stirs would make sure to evenly distribute the mix.

Liquidsandwich said:
I told you to stop shaking the bottles up and running around yelling Farva's #1. That causes To much carbination every time!!:tank:
:rockin:

Thanks Everyone.:tank:

I just had 2 beers that have been in the frig everthing is better so far. I just found a couple that I bottle last that I marked becouse i know they would have sediment.

I work midnight if you are looking at the time of this post.

I had the same problem also, I added table sugar to my beer when I was making my basic pale ale. I seen that on youtube and thought it would be ok and wished i didnt but oh well and also i put corn sugar in the bottles instead mixing it in the beer. Well all in all it had to much carbonation and the tast is a little off but i chilled it in the freezer before i opened it up and it didnt bubble out. the head was quite large but i will still drink it all and hope my next batch will come out better.

Back