Recipe Questions - Switching an American Black IPA to an English Black IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arringtonbp

Reaction score
So, today I saw northern brewer's black IPA recipe, and I was wondering if there would be a good way to switch the hops (which are American) so that it has more of an English hop profile. I have really enjoyed the taste of Samuel Smith's English IPA, and overall I like the taste of English hops more than American. Anybody have any recommendations as to which hops might make good replacements? Would this even make a tasty beer?

The recipe can be found here:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/black-ipa-extract-kit.html

The original hop schedule is as follows:
1 oz summit (60 min)
1 oz chinook (15 min)
1 oz centennial (10 min)
1 oz cascade (5 min)
1 oz centennial (0 min)
1 oz cascade (dry hop)

I am assuming that one way to do it would be to look at the AA%'s and try to match similar strength hops (replacing the American with English). I would also replace the American Ale Yeast with some kind of english yeast (maybe WLP013). What do you think? Also, if you switch the hops as I've mentioned, does it really just become a robust porter or some kind of hoppy porter/brown ale?

Ya, it's a basically a robust porter at that point. Not roasty enough for a stout. Would make a great beer. If that's up your alley, brew it, and enjoy.

what it would be..... an over hopped old ale?
I say throw caution to the wind and go for it.
You are going to need some Challenger in there.Maybe some Bullion too. The other two hops would probably be EKG/ First Gold? WGV.
Good luck with it bro
Cheers

Check out this Deschutes recipe for their Jubelale. It's an old one right from the brewery. I don't think the current Jubelale tastes the same, but I've made this recipe a few times (got one fermenting now) and I describe it to friends as an English Black IPA. I think it really is an English Strong Ale however. Anyhow, even though there is Cascade in there the EKG is the hop character that really shines along with the fruity esters from the English Ale yeast. I use WLP002.

Jubel Ale

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 13.02
Anticipated OG: 1.069 Plato: 16.9
Anticipated SRM: 25.3
Anticipated IBU: 75.3
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
81.8 10.65 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) GW America 1.036 2
10.9 1.42 lbs. Crystal 150L - Baird Great Britain 1.033 150
5.5 0.71 lbs. Crystal 70/80L - Baird Great Britain 1.033 75
1.2 0.16 lbs. Cara-Pils - Breiss American 1.034 2
0.6 0.08 lbs. Roasted Barley - Breiss America 1.028 300

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
20.49 g. Galena Whole 13.00 38.4 60 min.
17.56 g. Cascade Whole 5.75 14.5 60 min.
17.56 g. Willamette Whole 5.00 12.7 60 min.
29.26 g. Tettnanger Whole 4.50 9.7 30 min.
14.63 g. Goldings - E.K. Whole 4.75 0.0 0 min.
29.20 g. Goldings - E.K. Whole 4.75 0.0 Dry Hop
14.74 g. Cascade Whole 5.75 0.0 Dry Hop

Thanks guys for all of the input, and for that recipe. I may have to try it. The first time I became aware of English hops was when I had Fuller's ESB. There is something about that beer that seems very special to me. Correct me if I am wrong, but the hop aroma in that beer seems to be very very over the top. Yet somehow, the beer comes across as nice and balanced. Great hop flavor but not so bitter. What am I tasting in that beer? lol. I would love to find a way to get that aroma and flavor into the Black IPA recipe somehow. I suppose it is possible that if it's not done correctly the heavier, roasty malt character could overwhelm the hops. What do you guys think?

I haven't had the Fullers ESB, sounds like I need to try it. But looking at recipes for it, it uses EKGs. I see your in Richmond. Have you had a chance to try Alewerks Caledonia that came out this fall. It has great English hop character. And at 4.5% you can kick quite a few back!

My jubelale clone will be ready in December. If you're down in the Williamsburg area around that time shoot me a pm and I can share a sample with you. Its a great beer that folks in the NW look forward to every year.

So my two favorite black IPAs are Stone's Self Righteous and Firestone Walker Wookey Jack and I think the key to both those beers are a lot of late hop additions, plus dry hopping. That should give you the hop aroma and flavor to balance the roasty malt character.

EKG and Fuggles are the quintessential English hops, so you'll definitely want those. You might look for Challenger and Northdown as well - two really nice english hops (I think Northdown is sometimes called 'UK northern brewer'. Another favorite of mine is Bramling Cross - a good late addition for some unique fruit/floral character.

You might also just look around for English IPA recipes and use a representative hopping schedule to go with the grist for the black ipa recipe you have.

Latest posts

Back