Debating between Perlick 525PC or 525SS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dallasdb

Reaction score
I've tried searching multiple times and different keywords but haven't found an answer to my question.

I'm debating between the Perlick 525PC (chrome plated brass) and the 525SS (stainless).

I have found that they both offer the same functionality, but can somebody tell me what is the advantage to the stainless?

I read that the chrome plating can chip but has anyone ever had this happen on the 525PC?

Before I purchase I want to make sure saving $28 on the chrome plated model won't bite me in the rear later!

All opinions are welcome. Thanks

If you are spending the money to buy Perlicks, get the stainless steel. It is worth every penny.

Stainless > everything else.

How much are the 525SS? I just ordered 2 525SS from Amazon for 28.99ea. I went all SS because I don't want to worry about the chrome plating coming off. I haven't heard of it happening here to a beer tap. But I have had chrome plating come off water faucets and other stuff so I know it does happen.

Stainless! $28 cheaper? Shop around, you should be able to find them for $35 without much difficulty and $30ish with more patience (of course, If you can get the Chrome for $7/ea, go for it!). I recently won an auction for 10 at $290 delivered on Ebay. The chrome won't just chip (I wouldn't worry about that) but can erode from the acidic environment. I recently rebuilt my keezer and tore down and cleaned everything. I have all 525SS but only one was a SS shank, the 3 plated shanks had visibly eroded after one year where they were in contact with the beer... should have taken pictures.

Your shanks are most likely chrome anyway, so unless you absolutely need the stainless the chrome should be just fine. www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com has the PC for $19.99/ea. For someone like me that is outfitting 8 taps, that's a lot of jing left in my pocket!

Chrome looks great on old car bumpers, SS works better in the brewery. Go to a professional brewery and count how many pieces of equipment contact the beer that are chrome plated.

Stainless! $28 cheaper? Shop around, you should be able to find them for $35 without much difficulty and $30ish with more patience (of course, If you can get the Chrome for $7/ea, go for it!). I recently won an auction for 10 at $290 delivered on Ebay. The chrome won't just chip (I wouldn't worry about that) but can erode from the acidic environment. I recently rebuilt my keezer and tore down and cleaned everything. I have all 525SS but only one was a SS shank, the 3 plated shanks had visibly eroded after one year where they were in contact with the beer... should have taken pictures.

I'm looking at the price difference between RiteBrew.com - Brewing Supplies at Wholesale Prices and other Online shops.

$28 difference for two Perlicks:

$17.99 525pc at Ritebrew compared to Ritebrew's 525SS for only $31.99 but they are out of stock.

Other sites like MoreBeer or Austin Homebrew are ~$39.99 for 525SS.

I know stainless is better but for a 10 batch a year brewer... not sure I need top of the line.

Perfectly happy with my chrome perlicks here, If I was going to use them in a bar pulling hundreds of pints a day maybe I would go with stainless.

Just pulled the trigger at Ritebrew.com

I was emailing with Neil throughout the morning and he was AWESOME.

Check out my order. 3 recipe kits AND 2 Perlicks with misc for under $125.

Order Details:

Scottish Ale 80/- Dry Yeast $23.99
English Mild - Dry Yeast $18.49
Coffee Stout - Dry Yeast $24.99
2- Perlick Perl Faucet - Chrome Plated $17.99 ea
2- Faucet dust cap $.59 ea
Spanner Wrench $2.59
Whirlfloc Tablets - 25 pack $3.59

Subtotal: $109.81
Tax: $0.00
Shipping Cost: $14.07
Grand Total: $123.88

UPDATE:

Package shipped almost immediately after placing my order with Ritebrew. Got all my goodies and everything is GREAT.

The shipping was fast, customer service was amazing, and the box was packaged with great care.

Check them out: RiteBrew.com - Great Service, Fast Shipping, AWESOME

Plus the recipe kits are a STEAL!!!

I bought 3 kits for ~$60:
Scottish Ale 80/- Dry Yeast $23.99
English Mild - Dry Yeast $18.49
Coffee Stout - Dry Yeast $24.99

All have steeping grains and the coffee stout even comes with coffee beans!

I am definitely impressed and will definitely be a return customer.

Back