American Pale Ale Hop Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I really like a nice dry, but also malty American Pale Ale, like Summit Extra Pale ale, which i think when fresh, is the best example that I can think of. I am coming up with a recipe for a darker copper colored APA and I am always one that cannot show restraint when hopping, so I want some advice on what do with this beer to strike a balance, I want hops to clearly be evident in flavor and aroma, but not overpowering.

12 gallon batch

17 lbs, 0 oz Briess 2-Row Brewer's Malt
2 lbs, 0 oz Weyermann Munich Type II
1 lbs, 0 oz Briess 2 Row Caramel 40
1 lbs, 0 oz Briess 2 Row Caramel 60
0 lbs, 8 oz Briess Victory
0 lbs, 6 oz Crisp Crystal Malt 120L
OG = 1.053
FG = 1.011?
WLP001 or WLP007 not sure
Mash temp = 154
35-40 IBU?

I have the following hops:

cascade
chinook
columbus
willamette

I was throwing around the idea of all Willamette......

suggestions?

I would go with a couple oz of Columbus at 60 minutes, then some Williamette and Cascade as flavor/aroma hops. I'm thinking you might like Williamette at 15 and Cascade at 5 or flameout. Or do a combo of both for each addition.

columbus to 25 IBU or so at 60 and then finish with a nice pile of cascade and willamette. Dry hop also with some Willamette and Cascade.

1 oz columbus at 60
1 oz willamette at 15
1 oz cascade at 15
1 oz willamette at 5
1 oz cascade at 5
1 oz willamette dry
1 oz cascade at dry

columbus to 25 IBU or so at 60 and then finish with a nice pile of cascade and willamette. Dry hop also with some Willamette and Cascade.

1 oz columbus at 60
1 oz willamette at 15
1 oz cascade at 15
1 oz willamette at 5
1 oz cascade at 5
1 oz willamette dry
1 oz cascade at dry

I like it! Go for it! I actually think I might try something similar on my next brew. Gotta pick up some Willamette.

Back