Why put yeast in cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C3Candy

Reaction score
Why do people put yeast in cider? Does it seed up the fermentation process? Does it produce more alcohol? Does it make it taste better?

Ive never tried putting yeast in my cider..just some sort of sugar..always turns out fine..

Using a known yeast will product a faster, cleaner ferment, some times much faster. If the juice has been pasteurized, the wild yeast is dead and you'll be dependent on whatever floats in on the breeze. It won't make any difference in the ABV.

I'm no expert but if you want to make consistently good cider you need to pitch a good quality yeast. Relying on wild yeast could result in unexpected results. It might be fun to try once just to see what you get though. :mug:

C3Candy said:
Why do people put yeast in cider? Does it seed up the fermentation process? Does it produce more alcohol? Does it make it taste better?

Ive never tried putting yeast in my cider..just some sort of sugar..always turns out fine..

because finding a reliable source for unpasturized juice (I dont press my own) is a ROYAL PITA for me :(

I used the white labs english cider yeast and was really impressed. Made a great cider with just apple juice from the store (a la apfelwein) and no sugar (not a la apfelwein, I guess). Still kicks ass at ~6% abv. Meow.

monk

Unless I press my own apples, it is impossible for me to find untreated cider. The best I can do is cider that has been UV treated.

Back