Chemical taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelSterling

Reaction score
i used the copper tun carb drops in my IPA. i let them condition in the bottles for three weeks. i drank one last night and it was fine. but the last two that i tried today taste really chemical like???? does anyone really use these drops???

yeah that is what it was like. im drinking the second one right now and it does not taste weird any more. what would the antiseptic taste be? what are some common bad tastes that you can get in your brew? and what are they from?

the bandaid tase typicaly come from 2 sources - a particular infection or bleach. In your case i would guess its bleach because some bottles have it, some dont. if you beer was infected i would guess that all the bottles would taste bad.

For a long time i had just thought it came from infection but i had a couple of batches that had the same symptoms yours did, band-aid like flavor in most of the bottles.

Do you use bleach at any part in your cleaning of bottles? Its really hard to get that crap out. I used it to help clean the bottles after my first couple of cases. Now when i finish a bottle, i imediately rinse it with water and wash it, and let it drip dry. I use only star san before bottling to sanitize. Bleach doesnt come anywhere near my bottles anymore.

it seems like that taste will mellow a bit if you let it sit for another 6-8 weeks at room temp than a week in the fridge. For me, i dumped many bottles because of that flavor, cracked the bottle poured it in a glass, tasted it - if i thought it was racked over a bandaid i dumped the bottle and cracked a new one.

ok yea i dont use any bleach in the bottles. or in anything. im going to have a buddy try the beer and see what he thinks about the taste. i just really hope all of them dont taste like this.

Latest posts

Back