What specialty grains do what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grrtt78

Reaction score
I am an extract brewer and i just started to steep speciallty grains and i thought i would start a thread that listed some specialty grains and list what kind of flavors they impart in the beer. I have read alot about black patent, chocolate malt, and many other stout ingredients so i figured taht would be a good place to start.

A few rather common ones:

Carapils/Carafoam/Dextrine and light crystal malts are body enhancers that tend to increase head retention.

Darker crystal malts add color and body with less of the head retention properties of their lighter siblings.

Biscuit malt gives you a soft, biscuity flavor with little color impact.

Honey malt is very sweet, imparting a honey-ish flavor - use this rather than pure honey to get honey flavor into your beer (honey ferments rather completely, leaving little flavor).

Smoked malt adds a smoky flavor - often strong, so use sparingly.

Roasted malt is often a prime ingredient in stouts, offering dark color and roasty coffee flavors.

Black patent adds a ton of color and bitter roasted flavor. Use sparingly.

Debittered black malt adds the deep color of black patent without the harsh flavor associated.

Chocolate malt imparts deep brown/red color with a roasted, chocolatey flavor - less intense than roasted malt or black patent.

I don't have the link handy but BYO.com has a page that explains it pretty well. I also find that Morebeer's paper catalog is a handy reference for all kinds of ingredients.

At the bottom of this page there's a list of most specialty grains and what they're used for. I use the top part of the page to figure out what hops I can substitute for when I've forgotten to buy the right kind and too lazy to go to the store :D

At the bottom of this page there's a list of most specialty grains and what they're used for. I use the top part of the page to figure out what hops I can substitute for when I've forgotten to buy the right kind and too lazy to go to the store :D

Sorry mate but I need to ask, how well do you trust this site? Lyle's golden syrup does not add taste but increase alcohol content? I'm sure that is not entirely correct isn't it?

Back