Wild Hops - Denver Colorado Area

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are wild hops in the Pine Valley Ranch open space in Jeffco, just north of the parking lot on the railroad trail. Both male and female, so watch out. I harvested some seeds a few years ago, but they did not germinate.

There are also hops on Plainview Road and 72, just west of 93. I was just out there, but did not look around. I have heard about Central City and Lyons, but have not checked them out.

The USDA did a hop collection survey and wrote a report. http://www.ars-grin.gov/cor/reprints/hopexpedition2002.pdf it lists their collection sites.

Naturally, it is easier to get clippings from existing growers. I have Centennial, Cascade and Zeus; I would give clippings out next spring.

I have Nugget and a high alpha undeclared I bought from a farmers market last year. Maybe we can trade some blossoms next year ? I also have a friend growing Chinook and Columbus hop plants as well.

Nick (720) 299-2084, www.misterphoton.com (has my email address). Cheers, Nick Teti, Colorado

I was in Lair o the bear open area park in jeffco. On the Southside of morrison road between Morrison and coleslaw. I do not brew but looked like hops, another person said they were hops and he said the criss cross throughout the area. He said to look for forums about wild hops in CO, and let you home brewers know.

I hope this is useful. Also several Apple trees small but sweet apples nicely ripe if any hard cider aficionados out there.

I was in Lair o the bear open area park in jeffco. On the Southside of morrison road between Morrison and coleslaw. I do not brew but looked like hops, another person said they were hops and he said the criss cross throughout the area. He said to look for forums about wild hops in CO, and let you home brewers know.

I hope this is useful. Also several Apple trees small but sweet apples nicely ripe if any hard cider aficionados out there.

Would you collect some for us? Yeah, sweet!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Five years ago I harvested three rhizomes while harvesting the wild hop plants in Phantom Canyon, I haven't been back since so I don't know if they are still there or not. I'll have to check next fall due to the fire this past summer. If they are not there I'll replace the rhizomes from my garden which I've already have split into 8 plants. Each year I produce 8-12 lbs of hops from that wild plant. Don't know what they are and don't really care as I just use them to dry hop for aroma.

Latest posts

Back