is it safe to let the wort sit overnight?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmartyg

Reaction score
Well, i ran out of time tonight. it's currently 10pm and my wort is at 90F. I have to sleep sometime soon. Its currently sitting in the fermenter right now. Is it safe to leave it without yeast overnight? I had it in the sink with cold water for a while, but dishes needed to be done.

Am i running a high risk of infection? a small risk? The yeast im going to use is s-23...

thanks,
Marty

take my advice with a grain of salt (i too am new), but 90 doesn't sound like it would "kill" yeast, at least to me.

i also know that you don't want anything less than perfect fermenting conditions for your beer for the first 3-4 days...

any veterans out there?

I had the same problem. I let it it sit overnight and pitched the yeast in the morning. Turned out fine. RDWHAHB.

Just remember to start in the morning....or have some way to chill your wort after boiling e.g. a wort chiller or bucket of ice.

I really don't miss the overnights with the bucket sitting covered outside in the snow. Proably about 40 total hours of my life over five batches I'd like back. The beer will be fine as long as it's sealed. You can fashion a chiller pretty cheap with some soft copper wrapped around a coffee can, some hose, and some fittings. By far the best time saver and RDWHAHB implement I've made.

Well, it probably won't get infected. But...............you will have a beer that won't clear very well (no cold break), and since you're using a lager yeast, you have a LONG way to go to get to 50 degrees.

What are you making?

hey, i took one last temp and gravity reading before hitting the z's. 80F, 1.048 with the temp correction, which is a little low of the 1.056 estimated.. no worries as i messed up my ingredients. i pitched the slurry anyway. i have a backup sachet in case it doesnt work.

I'm making a simple lager, just playing with the ingredients the local shoppe has to offer.

this is all in metric:
2k of muntons light spray malt *in my dumb haste, I used 4 bags instead of 3, lesson: never leave un-needed ingredients in eye sight
1k of corn sugar
50g of saaz pellets

1K of extract and 25g of hops at 60 minutes
1k of extract at 30 minutes
1k of sugar at 10 minutes
25g of hops at 5 miuntes
the yeast is some s-23 i had harvisted from a batch during the summer.

should be around 9-11 ibu's with 5.5-6%ABV before carbing probably will be way way too dry for my tastes. :tank:

...and the yeast is doing its yeast thing. The bucket it now in the back of a closet until the weekend when i have timeto rack it. then to another closet that is against an outside wall - its about 10C in there - for a monnth or so.

Back