Newbie Q about Racking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pariah

Reaction score
I'm going to rack my brew to a glass carboy for secondary fermentation. What exactly is the point of racking it from my plastic tub to a glass carboy? I suppose it will make bottling easier as I can use a spigot.

Should I be careful not to disturb the yeast at the bottom of the primary fermenter, leaving it behind? On one hand, this means less gunk in the final brew, but otoh it seems like you lose a lot of yeast needed for the secondary fermentation and carbonation build up during bottling.

Thanks.

No, you don't lose anything. You actually want to get the new beer off of the yeast.

A lot of brewers will use a carboy as a primary also. The choice is yours. It's just preference.

If you used a liquid yeast start reading up on "washing your yeast".

Another purpose for using a glass carboy is for lagering. You don't want to lager in plastic (longer than 14 days) as it will eventually permeate oxygen into the brew. While this can (?) happen, I left a brew in a plastic bucket for 34 days and it won Best of Show...oh, well.

A carboy also allows you to view any activity in your soon-to-be-final-brew.

Others will add to my comments I'm sure.:D

Yeah . . . secondary is absolutely unnecessary. However, I suggest that if you go to a single fermentation, you do it in glass so that you can see your beer. I think that folks use the plastic buckets for primary fermentation because primary is so messy and the buckets are easier to clean that glass carboys.

That being said, Charlie Papazian suggests that if you rack to a secondary vessel, you will make better beer - that is, provided that your brewing practice is adequately sanitary as to prevent any infections as a result of your handling of the beer.

I use a secondary as a clearing tank. I wait until all fermentation has stopped. Then I rack to a glass carboy to let it sit, bulk age, and clear up. Once the ale is clear, I rack to a bucket and bottle it. Lately, I have been using Nottingham yeast a lot, and I am thinking about eliminating the secondary. I brewed on Saturday evening - this ale has fermented out from 1.059 to 1.008 already :rockin: . It will probably clear up in the next few days and be ready to bottle in about another week. I see no reason to secondary this stuff.

Anyway . . . my $.02.

Back to your ????. If you are using a bottling bucket for secondary, I suggest not doing a secondary at all. As the beer clears up, you will get some additional sediment. Obviously, you won't want to bottle this stuff, so you will rack off of it again before you bottle. If you are using your bottling bucket as secomdary, you will have a logistics problem of racking out and then back in in order to bottle. If you don't have a glass carboy, don't bother with a secondary. Let it sit for another two weeks and then bottle it.

Back