10 gallon batch with 5 gallon equipment - possible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A4J

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want to do BierMuncher's Cream of 3 Crops which is an 11-gallon batch. I can scale the recipe down, but I might as well do the larger batch if I can.

My MLT can handle the grain bill. I have two 8.5-gallon stockpots.

I plan on splitting the runnings between the two stockpots and boiling them separately.

Anybody see any problems with this method?

Scale it down by using Beersmith or just do it by math using percentage. Making 2 times the volume in a 5 gallon system is possible if you make 2 separate worts and 2 boils.

Still possible, how bout a water bath followed by an ice bath for kettle 2. Then transfer to kettle 1 w/ the valve. I know everyone poo-poos ice baths, but lately that's been my method. Less hassle than hooking up the I/C IMO. Only trick is you gotta go big w/ say 40-50 pounds of ice. I guess it doesn't hurt that I have a "ahem" (free) source of ice.

Big tub, lotsa ice, insert kettle...game over!

I think I'm going to try doing a batch like this using two 4 gallon pots to do a 5 gallon batch of AG. I figure the mashing process would be the same as any ordinary 5 gallon batch but just to split the boil over two pots and hop accordingly. Should work I would think. Chill the wort. Mix the two, check the gravity and put into the ferminter.

I would try to get half and half on each sparge, so that one isnt super high gravity, and one low gravity, as you would have to add hops to both batches as well, which would make things more interesting. Im not sure how it would effect the hop utilization. This was the last beer I made, and I basically divided his recipe in half, and used 1 oz saaz hops instead of his hops. Came out real well.

I think that it would be possible to do a high gravity, 5 gallon boil, chill and then add water at the end to dilute the wort down to 1.040.

It would be the same idea as the extract kits that I've bought. You boil 2 gallons of wort on the stove, then add another three gallons of water to the fermenter.

Back