Honeywell Temp Controller wiring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MN_Jay

Reaction score
I just bought a honeywell T6031A 1029 temperature controller off of ebay in my first step toward lagering. It's brand new in the box but the downfall is that I have to wire it myself. Opening up the inside I see 3 screws - one for red, one for black and one for white. The limited info I could find online says that I need to use a 14 gauge air conditioning extension cord to wire it with but it doesn't say how to hook it up to the screws. I understand basic house wiring but as soon as you introduce more than black and white wires then I get confused. Any help?

are you wiring up the therm wiring or the power?
if its the power then your just using the honeywell as a relay and you will need to wire your 120VAC (house wiring -extention cord) to the black and the white then your device (fridge)to the red and white.... when you make temp the black and red (contact) will close and turn on your device.
Cheers
JJ

I want the power from the fridge cord to run through this unit, so that the unit can turn power on and off to the fridge. For ease of use I want to have a male and female plug coming off the unit so I can plug and unplug easily without having to cut the fridge power cord. So fridge to red, extension cord to black, tie the two whites together onto the white screw - gotcha.

One more dumb question, on a regular 120 vac extension cord, how do I know which on is white and which one is black? I assume the bigger prong on the outlet cord is one way?

Incidently here is the manual if needed, it has some electrical diagram that I can't pick any sense to:

http://customer.honeywell.com/techlit/pdf/95-0000s/95-6756.pdf

Thanks for your help.

I want the power from the fridge cord to run through this unit, so that the unit can turn power on and off to the fridge. For ease of use I want to have a male and female plug coming off the unit so I can plug and unplug easily without having to cut the fridge power cord. So fridge to red, extension cord to black, tie the two whites together onto the white screw - gotcha.

One more dumb question, on a regular 120 vac extension cord, how do I know which on is white and which one is black? I assume the bigger prong on the outlet cord is one way?

Incidently here is the manual if needed, it has some electrical diagram that I can't pick any sense to:

http://customer.honeywell.com/techlit/pdf/95-0000s/95-6756.pdf

Thanks for your help.

well on 120 VAC it really dosen't matter what side is what (black or white) as far as the electricty is concerned it is just trying to find a path to ground. But for when you make an extention cord the use the larger of the prongs for neutral or the white one and youll be fine.
Cheers
JJ

Hate to say it Jay but I tried it this way and it resulted in my breaker being blown and quite a tingle in my arm for an hour or so. First time I've ever had a shock quite that big. I asked an electrician and he said that the neutral and ground bypasses the thermostat totally and the house power goes to red and the fridge hooks to the white - black goes unused. I'll try it that way once I get the nerve to....:D

I'm sure you already have it going but non-the-less you have said it correctly. The black goes unused unless you are trying to turn on a heater.

Back