Copper Manifold help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fins2rit

Reaction score
Hello need some advise
My buddy gave me a 60 quart cooler so I decided to move to 10 gallon batches.

I cut the copper pipe to build my Manifoldand changed the fittings on the cooler and everything looks and fits together nicely.

I am having a problem cutting the slits in the copper tubing to allow the wort to drain from the grain bed.

My dremmel tool is going through the cutting wheels like crazy. I am getting about 3 slits per wheel.

I was wondering what everyone used to make there slits.

I am going to stop by Homedepot on the way home to see if there is something else to use.

I know I seen a diamond wheel for the dremmel so any advise would be great..

I used my dremmel. There is a cut-off disc that's designed for metals. I used one for the whole thing.

make sure you get the reinforced dremel wheels, they have a crosshatch type pattern on them.

A simple hack saw will make quick work of copper as well. If you have a drill press (I wouldn't recommend it with a hand drill) you could drill holes instead of slots as well.

I drilled 1/16" holes which is a little bit smaller than the width of a hacksaw cut. I put them about 4mm apart on the bottom of the manifold. Not a great picture (took it ages ago with my phone).

MLT_manifold.jpg

I finished my manifold 2 days ago and, at first, I had the same problem. Try to not push down so hard on the coppre and let the wheel do the work. After i did that, they lasted alot longer. I tried the diamond ones but they "melted" the copper, screached and shimmied as I cut, and it just looked terrible.

Good luck
Jason

I used a 4 1/2' grinder, with a cut off wheel. Took some finesse, and I use a grinder a lot, but the slits came out fine.

Slots in Manifold.jpg

I picked up a pack of these they sa they are for metal. I will let you know how they work. If this does not work i am moving to the hacksaw...

Thanks for all the replys that is why I love this site...

dremmel.jpg

Digging up an old thread here. I am in the process of making a copper manifold for a 10 gallon rubbermaid. I have a hand drill and a hack saw so I am guessing the hack saw is best?

Also does everyone have the slots/holes on the bottom of their manifold? I remember seeing photos in John Palmers how to brew with the slots up. Whats the difference?

Also the first way I wanted to make it wouldn't have let it all sit right on the bottom of the cooler (slightly raised to meet the drain hole at one end). Is that a problem and should I design it so it will sit flat on the bottom?

Thanks guys

The syphon will break at the first point where air is introduced into the system so you definitely want the slots on the bottom. Another reason for placing them on the bottom is that grain can't be compacted into the slots and clog them.

I would design it so it sits flat on the bottom. Your efficiency will be highly impacted with a larger dead-space at the bottom of the tun. Having the slots on the top will also increase the volume of the dead-space as it effectively raises the manifold height from the bottom.

+1 on the hacksaw. I did 1/2 copper with hacksaw slits on the bottom. the width of the blade seems like a perfect width for the slits and my manifold works beautiful. i tried using my dremmel and just thought he hacksaw was easier and believe it or not, made cleaner, straighter cuts... not that it has to be all perfect or anything

Thanks for the input guys. Tonight I pieced together my manifold using 1/2 inch copper tubing and a hack saw. I think I want to solder some of the joints to hold it together just a little bit better. But I will still leave it so I can take it apart.

Do you need to do anything to copper once you cut it so it doesn't rust or anything like that?

Your copper shouldn't rust, unless you use the wrong chemicals to clean it.

I'm going to quote from page 310 of How to Brew by John Palmer: "Copper is relatively inert to both wort and beer. With regular use, it will build up a stable oxide layer (dull copper color) that will protect it from any further interaction with the wort. Only minimal cleaning to remove surface grime, hop bits, and wort protein is necessary. There is no need to clean copper shiny bright after every use or before contact with your wort. It is better if the copper is allowed to form a dull copper finish with use.

"However, you need to be aware that copper can develop a toxic blue-green oxide called verdigris. Verdigris includes several chemical compounds ... and these blue-green compounds should not be allowed to contact your beer or any other food item, because they are readily soluble in weakly acidic solutions (like beer) and can lead to copper poisoning.

"To clean heavy oxidation (black) and verdigris, use vinegar or oxalic-acid-based cleansers like Revere Copper and Stainless Steel Cleaner."

I don't think you'll ever have a problem with verdigris or any other oxide, but I threw in the warning anyway, just to be thorough. So, just rinse off your manifold after use. And never use bleach or peroxides on it. Those attack copper. I hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back