Pittsburgh/Western Group Buy #6

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the Small Buy a part of this main Group Buy?

Small buy is part of the same group buy, but a different vendor/different pallet (can't get mixed shipping unfortunately). Also I cant put them in the same sheet due to a technical limitation in google docs that I haven't figured out a way around yet (too many formulas).

FYI - Main buy is at 61 sacks - will probably close at 84 and push overflow to the small buy if we get to that point.

All - Here's where we are so far:

Main Buy Splits:
BZ-ACID Acidulated Malt 0.75
TF-CRY65 Crystal Malt II 0.50
BM-5386 Caramel Malt 120L 0.25
GB-PALE Pale Ale Malt 0.50
GB-ESB ESB Pale 0.50
GP-FLWHT Flaked Wheat 0.75
CM-2ROW Canadian 2-Row 0.50
5748 Golden Light DME 0.20

Main buy total - 63/84 sacks

Small buy total - 51/2200 #

BTW - Anyone interested in getting in on this brett experiment. We can get 4-5 people together at the buy, each take a set of strains, and brew. Each recipe is 1/2 gallon, so i can look into getting a few cases of 1 gallon jugs (unless folks have their own already).

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/eby-bba-brettanomyces-experiment-422090/

I figure it's relevant, since we're already ordering our ingredients.

I would be interested in the brett experiment. I only have a single gallon jug so I would need some as well.

Hey guys. We are at 70 sacks. Let's get this second pallet filled !!

i brew a ton of brett beers so i'd love to get some new strains.

I replied to the person running the experiment. Upon reading again it's unclear if this is for 2 L or 5 gallon batches (5 gallon being a bit prohibitive for 20 strains. I'll let you know what I hear.

Hey guys. We are at 70 sacks. Let's get this second pallet filled !!

14 to go. As an aside, we've got .5 extra on the Vienna split (the total is bright red). If you have one of those two splits (probably opened today) please create a new line and add your split there.

Lastly - need .25 on the Fawcett medium crystal (Crystal 65) split. Any takers?

I thought the experiment stated that each was to be pitched into 1/2 gallon of wort. I thought the recipe was standardized to 5 gallons for simplicity.

TNTgill said:
I thought the experiment stated that each was to be pitched into 1/2 gallon of wort. I thought the recipe was standardized to 5 gallons for simplicity.

I confirmed - any volume will do but 2L is recommended. I'll sign up and we can figure out who's up for the experiment.

I was able to get in on the experiment for 5 of the Cantillon strains, but I wouldn't mind trying some others if there is room. Count me in!

I'll buy up that English crystal.

I cancelled the couple half bags of Gambrinus I had. I've recently decided to make the plunge and build an ebrewery in a 7'x12' room I have off of my finished basement. It already has water supply and ventilation. My actual brewing time is going to be pretty light for the next few months (...at least....depending on how crazy I get with the brewery build). But I expect to be picking up some full bags for the next group buy!

I picked up this sink off Craigslist. It should work out well. the sides naturally drain to the bowl.

i'd like the 3f strain.

Part of the experiment requirements is to sterilize the starter wort and vessel in a pressure cooker. I was initially looking at doing this with a bunch of new Erlenmeyer flasks, but then I realized pint canning jars are significantly cheaper ($1/piece vs $7/piece).

Does anyone see an issue with using these to do the starter (barring punching a hole in the lid and mounting an airlock)

I'll buy up that English crystal.

I cancelled the couple half bags of Gambrinus I had. I've recently decided to make the plunge and build an ebrewery in a 7'x12' room I have off of my finished basement. It already has water supply and ventilation. My actual brewing time is going to be pretty light for the next few months (...at least....depending on how crazy I get with the brewery build). But I expect to be picking up some full bags for the next group buy!

I picked up this sink off Craigslist. It should work out well. the sides naturally drain to the bowl.

Best of luck! I'm planning on building an eBrewery between September and March - let me know how yours goes.

I was initially looking at doing this with a bunch of new Erlenmeyer flasks, but then I realized pint canning jars are significantly cheaper ($1/piece vs $7/piece).

Does anyone see an issue with using these to do the starter (barring punching a hole in the lid and mounting an airlock).

I have used canning jars for my starters and I really have had no problems with using them for this purpose. Durability and and low price are incentives to use canning jars. They are made to hold up in a pressure cooker as well. Nothing against Erlenmeyer flasks, but I think canning jars work just fine.

Unrelated to this purpose, I use canning jars that are over 50 years old for canning tomato sauces and they are still going strong.

I've used canning jars for this purpose as well. My plan is to use a regular old canning pot to prepare the wort in canning jars. The I'll remove the lid and put loosely fitted sanitized foil over each opening. I don't feel a need to break out the autoclave as the wort will not be stored unrefigerated.

All - there are about 10 sacks left open on the main buy pallet. If that's the case going into Sunday, I'm going to check and see if the 32 sacks can be moved to the small buy without a significant price increase.

Just joined the site today..interested in the buy...what is a ballpark figure for a #50 sack of 2-row and Crystal malt? ..do I have to be a club member?

I just dumped the crystal 120. I'm not in great need of it so I will buy it on the next go round.

7 spots left on the main buy, with the following splits available. The CM-6 Row looked good so I jumped on that one.

TF-BRWN Brown Malt 0.25
TF-MOPA Maris Otter 0.25
CM-RYEM Rye Malt 0.50
TF-OATM Oat Malt 0.50
CM-6ROW Canadian 6-Row 0.50
5S-PBW50 0.50

Closed out the PBW split. Went back and forth on that one since the buy opened. Anyone interested in getting in on the brown malt split?

Main buy is closed - we're now at 84 sacks. Small buy is still open, but I'd like to get it wrapped up by Tuesday and also send out the invoices. Currently small buy is 75 lbs (pallet is 2200 #), so we may end up having that drop shipped instead.

Edit:
If you need to pull stuff out of the main buy, let me know and I can edit it for you.
Breakdown of surplus will be on the invoices.

If the small buy is getting drop shipped, is the capacity 2000 lbs?

Grizybaer said:
If the small buy is getting drop shipped, is the capacity 2000 lbs?

Up to 150 lbs or so I'd have it drop shipped to me and then take it to the pickup location. After that, pallet becomes a lot cheaper.

We can't drop ship to individuals though - not supported by the vendor. Central shipping only.

Up to 113# on the small buy - would like to close tomorrow and get invoices out by Wed. With quick turnaround on paypal, we could get the order placed by Friday (crossing my fingers)

Sent out a quick email - last chance to get on the small buy before we close out! There are a number of grains (or DME/LME) you can buy by the sack or pail as well as grains.

One more update - We're over 300# on the small buy (woot!). Shipping should average out to between $5-$15 each, assuming there aren't any more orders, I'll give everyone a chance to adjust their orders tomorrow once i confirm final shipping and verify everything is in stock.

I feel bad I can't get in on this buy this time. :-( The funds ended up coming up a bit short. Next buy I NEED to get in on! How often do these buys happen usually?

I usually try to do every 2-3 months, but work has been crazy, so this one is a little late. Next one will probably start mid october and pickup will be mid november

That'll work out nicely! I should be just getting back from a job in OK! I'm going to bow out of this buy, but I should definitely be in for the next one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back