Cows ate first-year hops. Should I prune?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AceMgy

Reaction score
So the cows got out on our ranch and ate / severely trimmed half of my hops (first year). The varieties affected are Magnum and Northern Brewer. I built a fence so that wouldn't be a problem anymore, but I don't know what to do with the plants. Some of them are trimmed down to just two small leaves close to the ground, others fared better and are sending out side-shoots.

I've been training every shoot that comes up in an effort to strengthen the roots this first year, but I'm wondering if I should break off the worst blines below the ground in an effort to get them to send up new shoots. The magnum and Northern Brewer only had one vine each as I planted late (short growing season here), so I'm worried if they have enough energy in the roots to send up new shoots.

If there's any green at all left on them just leave them alone and they'll take care of the rest. It will take a week or two but you should see some new growth by then if they weren't severely damaged. All is good!

Back