Keezer (Compressor?) Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bb239605

Reaction score
So my trusty keezer is finally starting to crap the proverbial bed on me. I came home from work this morning (working night shift) wanting nothing more than I cold draught home brew. I pull a pint and much to my surprise it is pee warm. Like warmer than the outside hot. Basically my chest freezer was warming my beer not cooling it.

I took apart the side panel and the compressor was hot. Not burning hot but definetly hotter than it should be. Any ideas on how to fix this? I would rather not buy a new (read: used) chest freezer but I may have no other choice.

It probably has a refrigerant leak. I just went through this with my chest freezer I was using as a fermenter. I ended up having to go with evaporative cooling to take it down about 10F.

I bought a bullet piercing valve and attached it to the compressor service line. I then tested the pressure. The pressure was low so I did a pressure test on the system. I never did find a leak however. I recharged with the exact ounces listed on the freezer and it's back to ice cold. My leak sniffer is not detecting any leaks. Pressure is unchanged. I left it in freezer mode and it's down to 0F already so all is well.

If the compressor is running and it's not cooling it's most likely low on freon. It could be a bad compressor but it's not easy to tell. If it's 134a coolant, you can get a cheap set of gauges at harbor freight and a can a freon from the auto store. Most new systems are sealed and you will need a piercing valve like mentioned above to install the freon. I would not install any stop leak, it could just be a very small leak. Charge the system and see how long it goes.

good suggestions from the above posters. It could be a very small leak so a recharge may get ya back in operation for quit a long time.

My Keezer was working fine, until my keg kicked and i didn't have anything on deck. so I unplugged it and it sat for about 4-5 weeks. this past Saturday i plugged it in and put my keg of beer in it. well its not getting cold, the power light is on and the compressor light is on. I can hear the compressor running and it sounds like liquid is moving around through it.

here's the deal I plugged this keezer into an older power strip that had a mini fridge already plugged into it. I think once the keezer kicked on it was pulling more amps than the power strip was rated for. I noticed this when my beer fridge has a lot of water on it and the light wasn't coming on. the keezer lights were on and compressor was running. I plugged the keezer directly into the wall over night and this morning it wasn't cold.

I told my wife to unplug it and let it sit for a few hours. do you think it might need a few hours to cool down or "reset". keezer is the one in my signature and I really don't want to buy another one since I have all the granite work done to this one.

I think the bullet valve and re-charging the system is within my wheelhouse and something worth trying.
-=Jason=-

Back