Belgian Wit fermantation ?s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridge Runner

Reaction score
Brewed my 1st Belgian Wit 10 days ago. 6#LME Wheat malt,, .25# Carafoam, 1# corn sugar, Golding & Saaz, Coriander, Sweet orange peel, Saftbrew T-58 ale yeast in 6.5gal bucket. Bubbled strong for 3.5 days then stopped. Started back up on day 7 and was raging the next morning. Here we are at day 11 and no activity. Haven't taken a gravity reading yet because I can't decide if I'm going to leave it in the primary or maybe secondary for a week or maybe I'll leave it in the primary for 3 weeks then bottle. Had some slightly higher than optimal fermentation temps so I thought I might like to let the yeast clean up the potential off flavors a bit. Is there any benefit to 2ndary with a Wit? Read several of the Belgian recipes in the database and noticed several people had 14 day primary and 7 day 2ndary. Is this the more"close to style" way of fermenting a Wit? Thanks RR

Some people say they don't use a secondary at all for wit's because they are supposed to be cloudy. I've always done a 7 day secondary, but you could probably just leave it in the primary for 7 more days instead.

What are your fermentation temps? Belgian yeast usually like it warm and can stall out if they cool off, so I don't think you'll see any ill effects from higher temps depending on how high they were. That may be why you've seen fermentation flare up on occasion, when the yeast was warm enough.

Baron von BeeGee said:
What are your fermentation temps? Belgian yeast usually like it warm and can stall out if they cool off, so I don't think you'll see any ill effects from higher temps depending on how high they were. That may be why you've seen fermentation flare up on occasion, when the yeast was warm enough.

The Fermentis website says 59-75F. I was at 72-74F so probably OK just wanted to be sure.

Latest posts

Back