Irish Red yeast - 1084 or 1056?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSGT09

Reaction score
I'm confused as to which yeast to use for an Irish Red that I'm going to start on next weekend. The MWS lists 1056 American Ale yeast as the Wyeast option, while AHS lists the traditional 1084 Irish Red Wyeast option.

Why does MWS list 1056? I'm sure I could get them to substitute but just curious what the different strains will produce in an Irish Red.

Any thoughts on the overall makeup of either of these kits as far as ingredients go?

Irish Red Ale - Amber Ales - Beer Recipe Kits - Brewing Ingredients

Austin Homebrew Supply

Either one will work. I prefer 1084 out of those two, it leaves a little nicer body and mouthfeel than the 1056.

If you have the option to ditch the 1056 for US-05 they are basically the same thing but the US-05 is 1/2 the price. I still think it should come with the1084...

i just brewed one, and have had a few pints now, that used 1084. i don't find the profile to be all that different from 1056, it's pretty clean IMHO, but i fermented it at 66, so that may have caused it to be cleaner than normal. but it's always fun to use new yeast strains.

Back