Are black beans fermentable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So many punch lines . . . . ;)

I'm sure they will ferment, I'm not sure if they will produce anything palatable, but I'm guessing not.

As I see it, there are two ways to find out... scour the internets for someone who's done it before, or make a starter and drop some pre-boiled and perhaps mashed black beans into it.

As I see it, there are two ways to find out... scour the internets for someone who's done it before, or make a starter and drop some pre-boiled and perhaps mashed black beans into it.

The reason why I ask, is that I wanted to add some to a Chica recipe...I scoured the internet for days with no results...but I was able to find articles on how to sprout black beans (similar to barley and corn), so I think I might go this route and try to malt some black beans.

I would love to hear how this turns out if you try it. Since oligosaccharides in beans are what causes gas, I know there would be at least some sugars. It may be easier on your time to cook up some black beans and mash them with some barley to see if the end result is something you would want. That way you would have your proof of concept first before going through the trouble of malting black beans.

I'd think as long as you can release the carbohydrates (convert them) there'd be something fermentable. Same as with your corn...BTW, are you going to be chewing your own chica or going with a more modern mashing method?

The reason why I ask, is that I wanted to add some to a Chica recipe...I scoured the internet for days with no results...but I was able to find articles on how to sprout black beans (similar to barley and corn), so I think I might go this route and try to malt some black beans.

Nice!
I love the creativity of homebrewers.
Malted Beans :fro:

If you malt them, will you then do a mash, ala protien rest, sach rest, etc.?
Maybe the enzymes are different and require different temperatures.
Maybe throw in some malted barley for extra enzymes.

I appreciate all of the help...great tip on brewing with them first to test the flavor, also great link on soy beans, gives me more confidence they are!

As for the method, no chew and spit for me...just a single infusion mash.

I plan to get my stuff together today and start the malting process on the beans and corn...I will keep you guys updated as to how it goes and more importantly how it taste!

If it is organic it will ferment....take a field trip to your State Pen!!!!! Be careful sprouting and using to mash. The flavor of products that are sprouted changes greatly! I sprouted some corn once, just about got sick when I tasted the final product. Just be sure to taste before using.

There is a small portion of starch in the beans that will produce fermentable extract. There is also a ton of protein, so be prepared for a sticky situation. You'll need an enzyme source to break the starch down. Since you're using beans, I couldn't think of anything better than beano to do the trick.

Black Beans are sprouting!

DSC_0616.jpg

I don't think you can malt beans, but you could possibly mash them with BEANO. Add ~4 crushed BEANO tablets into the mash tun at ~100F. I would go with a small % of mashed beans in the brew just to test the waters, maybe 5% tops. You will need some rice hulls too.
And keep us updated.

So I had bird's attack and contaminate my corn and black beans...however I was able to salvage 1/2 pound of malted black beans....I chopped them up and mashed them for 60 minutes. I was able to get a gravity reading of 1.03...I could have done better (I think) if I had used less water and chopped the beans a little finer than I did...but my summary is that they are fermentable and perhaps could find there way in to one of my recipes, but in a small amount due to the unusual flavor!

I had an elder co-worker tell a story of when he was in the field one day, he smelled an awfull smell and found an old guy fermenting pinto beans. He called it bean jack, he told him he just cooked them and smashed them then threw it in the fermentor with a little water and yeast. No followup however regarding flavor.

I think cereal mash is the way to go.

Yes they are fermentable. Fermented black beans are used in various Chinese dishes. Quite tasty too.

Well from my experience...sprouting black beans was easy, I bought a dry bag of them from the grocery store, soaked them overnight and then put them in a clay pot, rinsing every 6 to 8 hours....they sprouted in 2 days, they were ready to dry out on the 4th day and with a day out in the Texas heat, they were ready to go....only advice I have, get a piece of plexiglass to cover your beans from birds!

old timers always told me to soak my pintos over night and change the water before cooking to prevent gas. ive thought about using the water to brew a stout. has anyone ever tried this? would that be fermentable or just be a flavor in your beer that has your friends puzzled as whats the mystery flavor.

daniels said:
old timers always told me to soak my pintos over night and change the water before cooking to prevent gas. ive thought about using the water to brew a stout. has anyone ever tried this? would that be fermentable or just be a flavor in your beer that has your friends puzzled as whats the mystery flavor.

It wouldn't be fermentable....I soaked my beans over night to start the sprouting process, but the water I discarded wouldn't have had much to ferment. In regards to the flavor, it defiantly has a unique one that you should try to see if you like in your recipe...the flavor wasn't bad for me, but defiantly needed to be paired to a grain that would accentuate it's flavor profile.

Please tell me someone tried making black bean beer! I haven't ever heard of anything like this before and it has definitely sparked my interest.

I think anything with starch in it will ferment. Personally, I'd make chili with it and have a bowl while my barley was mashing, but their your taste buds.

Had anyone followed up on this? Thinking either beans as tiny % of mash or more if used in a robust beer.

GrogNerd said:
experiment going on in this thread with lentils.

black beans can't be all that different

I'm sure that they are fermentable...the question then become, what kind of beer recipe will you put them in. I used a few modified Chicha recipes, but never truly came up with one that I was in love with. Happy experimenting!

I'm sure that they are fermentable...the question then become, what kind of beer recipe will you put them in. I used a few modified Chicha recipes, but never truly came up with one that I was in love with. Happy experimenting!

some one else is doing the experimenting. not enough mad scientist in me to try

my thinking is that in all the history of human civilization and the production of alcohol, if beans made good beer, there would be bean beer.

Any updates on using beans as your fermentables? Thought about this at the store today with my wife... Hoping for some guidance.

Latest posts

Back