Airlock activity in bottling bucket...go ahead and bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patd

Reaction score
So I transferred to the bottling bucket a few hours ago to prep for bottling, mixed in my corn sugar, and put on a lid and airlock to let it set for a while after moving it.

I just checked on it and the airlock is bubbling. Is this normal for corn sugar addition, or has fermentation started again?

My Final gravity was 1.018 for the last few days (has been 3 weeks in primary). I was shooting for 012-015, but I needed to get this brew ready for someone so wanted go ahead and bottle since fermentation had stopped.

Am I setting up for bottle bombs? Should I let it sit for another week, and re-add bottling sugar later once fermentation has stopped? Or have i just never noticed this I don't usually put an airlock on the bottling bucket?

Thanks in advance :mug:

Did you take three successive FG reading that were constant?

Every time you add more food the yeast will do more work so, yes, in short more fermentation will begin. Thats how it carbonates in the bottle.

If you sealed the bucket back up, the transfer alone would have scared enough CO2 out of solution to cause your airlock to bubble.
I bottle within a half hour of transfer so I don't worry about it.

You add priming sugar to give the yeast something to eat so they will carbonate your beer. If you had the same gravity reading over 3 days it is probably done fermenting. You should be filling bottles shortly after you prime your beer. Don't let it sit or you will lose some of the CO2 that should be carbonating your beer if it was bottled.

Why are you letting the bottling bucket sit with an airlock on it?

It was shaken up a bit while I was moving it, wanted to give it a chance to settle out some of the trub that got sucked up. And mostly because my 6 and 3 year olds have been going nuts all day, I wanted to wait until they chilled a bit before starting ;)

Back