Horrible plastic taste from beer lines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_the_greek

Reaction score
Hi everyone, thanks for all the help in my previous thread about the temp controller. As soon as I get a little extra play money, that's going to be the first on my list to do. I've got another slight issue however... I replaced the lines that had been on the unit (original from the bar, I've used it a number of times as well) with some new thick vinyl lines. They are the same material I believe though. Anyways, the new lines have a horrible and strong flavor or plastic. I poured way more than 2-3 oz, more like 10, and it was very unpleasant. Any ideas for getting rid of this flavor? I've noted others using a thick rigid commercial line, does anyone have any recommendations? Maybe there is a cleaning trick I haven't done....

Did you use actual beverage line? There is a difference. Regular vinyl line from home depot and the like can impart plastic flavors. I would order some real beverage line.

I got this from a local Homebrew shop.... I would like to think they are actual lines, but I wouldn't be surprised if they just ran out and ordered a bunch of stuff from a big supplier or something.

Mix up some Beer Line Cleaner in a keg and flush the lines. I fill each line in rotation, wait 15 minutes, then flush about 4 oz, repeat.

I always had problems with this until I picked up some cheap poly tubing. It was a bear to get over the fittings (boiling water helps), but no more plastic taste. You'll need longer lines though for the same resistance. It's slipperier inside than the vinyl stuff.

Even some brands of "beverage" lines can give you the plastic taste. It's really hit or miss as even the dependable online dealers seem to never have the same brand twice. For now just pour out the first 2 oz or so into a plastic cup and chuck it.

I used Bev Seal Ultra 235 and its great stuff. This is a polyethylene with a barrier layer on the inside. The smallest it comes is 1/4" with a pressure drop of .4PSI / ft. Highly recommended but I'm sure proper vinyl works too

well, I stopped in at another homebrew store and picked up some new 3/16ths line. I've attached one of them and am going to give it a look-see. Hopefully it's not as bad! I've got some brew that need serving on this wonderful opening day!

Success! Well, I put the new lines in after just a rinse and the difference was drastic. Everything tasted great and the only problem was when we put some of my kegs into my roommates kegerator his lines were maybe 2 feet. That created some problems but after letting a lot of carbonation out and things eventually settled down. Hope everyone had a wonderful opening to Oktoberfest!

Back