Kim Chee/ Kimchi

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Does anybody make kim chee/ kimchi? I love it, so I googled a few recipes. I didn't really find what I was looking for. So, I sort of made my own. I sliced up napa cabbage (added some green cabbage too). I tossed in a few matchstick cut carrots in with the cabbage, then salted the cabbage, and weighted it down to release the liquid for 24 hours.

In the other bowl, I used fresh minced ginger, garlic, fish sauce, chili garlic paste, and halved green onions in 1 inch pieces. After sitting for 24 hours, I drained the cabbage well, squeezing out the liquid then mixed it all together and placed in two quart jars. It already tastes great, but I'm hoping it'll start fermenting soon. My house is pretty cold, so I'll try to find a warmer place if it doesn't start up in the next 24 hours.

Am I on the right track? Any other kimchee lovers?

I've never had any but I've seen it made on TV and heard about it from people who've been to Korea (apparently the whole place reeks of it!). Do people typically let it spontaneously ferment or do they add some type of culture to it? Sounds like something I might want to try.

Traditionally it is naturally fermented in large pots buried in the ground. Every family has their own recipe. The stuff a friend of mine used to make was so hot it could strip paint.

Yooper, once you get your method down, please post recipe!

I watched some videos on youtube but never actually got around to making it... I am interested to year how yours turns out Yooper.

Well, since I used fish sauce and chili garlic paste, it already has the stink, even before fermentation! I'll let you guys know how the fermentation goes. I've done some googling, and it looks like a three day ferment would be about right, although it may continue to ferment a little in the fridge. I made two quart jars. I like my food HOT, so it's really spicy. It's already so good you can eat it as is, but I will try to wait until it ferments!

When I was in Korea I noticed they advertise visiting a kimchi "factory" and you can sign up to attend classes.

If memory serves me they just take whole heads of cabbage and spread the leaves open and insert the pepper sauce between them. It wasn't cut up then mixed together.

I like kimchi also, but not the soft ends...too gooey...

*shudders* there isn't enough beer in the world to get me to eat that stuff again.

Haha- so I'll take you off of my "Kimchi Christmas Recipients" list.

I am just a little paranoid, so I have my yeast starter in the laundry room since the kimchi (even closed) is in the kitchen. I definitely don't want any cross- contamination! The kimchi should have lacto at the very least, the last thing I want in my yeast starter!

When I was in Korea I noticed they advertise visiting a kimchi "factory" and you can sign up to attend classes.

If memory serves me they just take whole heads of cabbage and spread the leaves open and insert the pepper sauce between them. It wasn't cut up then mixed together.

I like kimchi also, but not the soft ends...too gooey...

Wow- I bet that place stinks to high heaven!

I LOVE kimchi, though. I actually love most "stinky" foods. From bleu cheese to kimchi, I can't get enough of aged/fermented/pickled/spicy foods.

This is what I make. It isn't really kimchi, but it is ready in a day, and tasty. Sometimes kimchi I have had has an effervescence about it that I don't particularly care for. I know it is just fermenting, but it bugs me.

1 head Napa cabbage
1 bunch Watercress
¼ cup Sweet chili sauce
2Tablespoons Or more, Chili sauce with garlic
1 large Garlic clove very finely minced
1teaspoon Cayenne
1teaspoon Chili flakes
½ c. Mushroom stock
1ea Lime juice
1Tablespoon Sugar
1Tablespoon Fish sauce

Salt to taste

Slice or chop the cabbage and watercress, then toss with remaining ingredients

The mushroom stock is optional, it does add a nice earthy-ness.

Luck!

I love the stuff. I ate a bunch of it in China. My host was Korean and took me places where they had it. They did it with almost every vegetable. So they were not always with cabbage.

It goes good with salty stir fried chicken or beef. Maybe even some soba noodles mixed/topped with soy sauce and wasabi

Need to have it a bucket of Snow beer or a bunch of Sapporo. :D

Maybe San Miguel.....

This is something I have been thinking about trying, but I can't seem to find one ingredient that seems to be a key - the Korean ground pepper. Does anyone have a source for the real thing? There's a pretty comprehensive Asian grocery just up the street from me, but the woman who runs it really doesn't speak English, and my Chinese is nonexistant - if you know what you need and what it looks like, you're good, otherwise out of luck.

This is something I have been thinking about trying, but I can't seem to find one ingredient that seems to be a key - the Korean ground pepper. Does anyone have a source for the real thing? There's a pretty comprehensive Asian grocery just up the street from me, but the woman who runs it really doesn't speak English, and my Chinese is nonexistant - if you know what you need and what it looks like, you're good, otherwise out of luck.

Kimchi is a Korean delicacy.

Wow- I bet that place stinks to high heaven!

I LOVE kimchi, though. I actually love most "stinky" foods. From bleu cheese to kimchi, I can't get enough of aged/fermented/pickled/spicy foods.

The thing about Korea is that while you're standing in line waiting to go through customs your nose is hit with this odd and slightly sickening odor...it's Korea.:eek:

I love Kimchi, but you're brave for trying to make it at home! I lived in a pretty large Korean population area just outside of Philadelphia in college. The apartment complex sent a letter to all residents banning the making of kimchi at home. Apparently korean residents neighbors were complaining about the smell (which was "pungent"... had friends that their neighbors made just 1 batch a year), and they would use the fridge to keep the fermentation temps "right". Apparently if residents made a lot when they moved out the stink wouldn't leave the fridge and it would need to be replaced.

Please post how it came out! haven't been able to find it since I've moved south! :(
I'm just not brave enough to make any at home!

I make kimchee all the time. It's one of those foods I can get eat tons of and not feel guilty about. Though I don't do a full fermentation or use seafood (oysters) so its more or less a pickling process. Here is my recipe;

Cut napa cabbage to remove hard stems, soak in water/salt brine for 2 hours then remove and pat dry. Mix fresh ground ginger, garlic, 1/4 cup fish sauce (I use the stuff made from squid, its more expensive but has a less harsh flavor), green onions, diakon radish, about 1/3 cup of korean red chili paste, and a few tablespoons of mirin or rice vinegar. Spread this mixture inside and out of cabbage, stuff in mason jars and let sit for about 12hrs or until you see a few bubbles. Refrigerate, then eat and enjoy!

When i'm tired of eating it plain, i'll cut it up to make kimchee fried rice or make a spicy stew out of it to go alongside korean bbq.

When i'm tired of eating it plain, i'll cut it up to make kimchee fried rice or make a spicy stew out of it to go alongside korean bbq.

Two of my favorite uses!!! I really like the kind made from semi dried daikon radish. Unfortunately it is rarely served at the restaurants here in town, or also rarely available in the Asian markets

In one of the recent issues, Saveur magazine did a piece on Kimchi with many different recipes for different varieties of it. I think you can get the recipes on their website. Just google "saveur magazine kimchi". Good magazine, recipes are usually very good.

Bierhaus - can you provide the brand name of the Korean chili paste you use?

Well, I normally use dried Korean red chili flakes for my kimchi, which you can pretty much get at any Asian market, but the paste i mentioned was "gochujang," which is sorta like a Korean red chili ketchup. I buy this at my Asian market also, though I can't say the brand name as it's all in Korean. :cross:

If it helps any, it comes in a red plastic tub and has gocujang in small letters on the front.

Also, if anyone is interested I make diakon - ginger pickles pretty often too, and are great plain, or in stir frys. They can also be make with regular radishes. Here is the recipe:

Bring equal parts rice wine vinegar and water to a boil, add some salt and sugar to taste, and set aside. Cut radish into cubes or 1/4'' slices. Peel and grate ginger. Add ginger, a crushed clove of garlic, and red pepper flakes to canning jar. Pack jar with sliced radish and pour brine over, leaving some room at top. Cover and refrigerate for 24hrs, then enjoy! Super simple and there are tons of variations.

I make kimchee and sauerkraut very often, I soooo do love it as much as anything else. The best recipe that I've found to date is this one, it is totally spot on and wonderful: Clicky. She generally stores it for a day before consuming, but I let it ferment for a week or two to make sure it's very pungent and sour. By the way her other food is really good too, I do recommend trying her recipes out.
If you are looking for more kimchi recipe's (with not only cabbage) and other assorted korean dishes I'd recommend checking out this book. This has improved my korean dishes by 10 fold. If you like fermented foods, I'd also recommend picking up Wild Fermentation very good read.

Enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/user/Maangchi#p/u/6/0sX_wDCbeuU[/ame]

Love Kimchee, take a look at this link. I make a big batch during the summerer when Napa is cheap.

This is the only recipe I use now. If the link brings you to Maangchi's website just look through it and you'll find a couple recipes for Kimchee

scotched said:
awesome, are you following a specific recipe? Are you fermenting underground?

I'm planning to follow the one linked a few times above. I think I'll keep it above ground in the fridge. I just got a delivery of some ingredients the other day and ordered three cans of kimchi just to make sure I would like it. I already ate two. Good stuff!

I love kimchees of all kinds.

My favorite is shredded diakon.

I never made my own. See what you've done Yooper! Now I gonna have too try it myself.

It was really good! But it wasn't the same authentic Korean kimchi that I've had when I was in the Army. It was quite good, though.

I have a Japanese friend who's mom makes it for her but she hates it, so she gives it to me. That version was more like the recipe I have, but it was runnier. Not really pungent and fermented well, but still very very tasty!

lschiavo, let me know when yours is ready! I'll be there, and I'll bring beer.

Yooper said:
It was really good! But it wasn't the same authentic Korean kimchi that I've had when I was in the Army. It was quite good, though.

I have a Japanese friend who's mom makes it for her but she hates it, so she gives it to me. That version was more like the recipe I have, but it was runnier. Not really pungent and fermented well, but still very very tasty!

lschiavo, let me know when yours is ready! I'll be there, and I'll bring beer.

I certainly will. Its a big batch so I was already planning to bring you some.

Wow. Just broke 1000 posts. What do I win?

Interesting. I've had kimchii from several different gf's. Each was slightly different and pretty tasty. The kimchiii was pretty good too.

I'm going to do a white kimchii recipe, which is traditionally sliced thinner and uses a different type of cabbage.

I have a habit pairing kimchii, rice, and beer as a meal, so this might be the end of me.

This is juvinious' kimchi. He posted this pic in one of my threads. I think pics add a lot to a thread, so here you go. Good luck lschiavo.

61899_492725783272_602223272_6838392_5870988_n.jpg

Further, here is a message juvinious sent to me regarding his kimchi. Hope it helps. I post it here because I see it is 6 months newer than his last post in this thread:

This is the one I use: http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/kimchi-kaktugi (Her other recipes are pretty awesome too) and it's the best so far. You can omit the oysters if you don't feel good about raw oysters in the ferment. I generally ferment 1-2 weeks at room temperature (longer if it's colder) and then in to the fridge. You have to get a feel for it and try the juice throughout the fermentation, the older it gets the more sour it will become and provide a complex taste, very enjoyable. I try to make mine spicy but how much is up to you. It's so easy almost like an extra step above making sauerkraut.

Ah man good call on my pic and message passedpawn which reminds me I really need to make another batch. Haven't really had much time to do anything since my son was born.

This is juvinious' kimchi. He posted this pic in one of my threads. I think pics add a lot to a thread, so here you go. Good luck lschiavo.

Wow. That does look fabulous. Makin' my mouth water.

This is the recipe I was planning to try:

http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/easy-kimchi

I forgot to order the sweet rice flour and I doubt I can find the Korean radish. Any advice on substitutions?

I wish I had time to make this right now.

Back