flaked wheat vs. white wheat malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoebag22

Reaction score
Interchangeable or are they totally different? Looking at making a wit and am not sure of the difference between the two.

flaked wheat is purely an adjunct, white wheat malt can be used in larger amounts, up to use as a base grain.

different.

Torrified and flaked wheat are both unmalted wheat, and like PintOfBitter said, they are adjuncts. They can't be used in large percentages. They can however be added straight to the mash since the process to produce them gelatanizes the starches. Use them in any recipe calling for unmalted wheat (lambics, other sour beer, witbier). Small amounts can be used to increase head retention.

Wheat malt is the same as barley malt (2 row, maris otter, pilsner etc), except its made from wheat (duh!). Its used in some percentage as the base grain in conjunction with Pils or 2 row in any wheat style. Hefeweizens tend to use higher percentages, while American wheats use less.

In terms of flavor, not that big a deal. If you are doing an AG wit with 40-50% wheat, it's worth while to get wheat malt.

In terms of flavor, not that big a deal. If you are doing an AG wit with 40-50% wheat, it's worth while to get wheat malt.

thanks for the info... i have a bunch of white wheat on hand and was curious if I could use it in place of flaked wheat... sounds like I can.

Latest posts

Back