Anybody know a good place to fill a CO2 tank in Virginia Beach VA area?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elpresidente

Reaction score
I have this one place I went to a couple times but the guys equipment has been busted for a month or 2... :( I need another place to fill my 20lb CO2 tank.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you.

I just did a google search for "Virginia Beach Welding Supply Oxygen". A couple names popped up:

Arcet: (757)499-541

Safeway Fuels: (757)363-7415

Give 'em a call. Welding supply places are usually safe bets for CO2 refilling.

I just did a google search for "Virginia Beach Welding Supply Oxygen". A couple names popped up:

Arcet: (757)499-541

Safeway Fuels: (757)363-7415

Give 'em a call. Welding supply places are usually safe bets for CO2 refilling.

Sweet, thanks!! Yeah I had emailed someone through the Arcet website but had not gotten a response...I will just give them a call like you suggest. Thank you.

Also, I never thought about searching for "welding supply" businesses, great idea by the way...I was just searching straight up "co2" this and that...which was probably part of my problem.

Be aware that some of the Arcet locations do not actually fill the tanks there, they may just distribute gas and sell other industrial products.

I've had a few tanks filled at Arcet in Norfolk as a walk-in customer and they were very helpful and their prices were the cheapest around I could find.

elpresidente,

I just read this to SWMBO and she immediately shouted "Total Wine". Dunno where you are in VA beach but I think there's one north of 264 kind of in the middle of VA Beach. Another over here in chesapeake on greenbrier. You probably know this already though... Anyways, she says that she has seen the tanks there but isn't positive that they refill.

cvstrat,

Richmond is a long drive just for Bass Pro Shop. We have our own on the other side of the bridge/tunnel :)

elpresidente,

I just read this to SWMBO and she immediately shouted "Total Wine". Dunno where you are in VA beach but I think there's one north of 264 kind of in the middle of VA Beach. Another over here in chesapeake on greenbrier. You probably know this already though... Anyways, she says that she has seen the tanks there but isn't positive that they refill.

cvstrat,

Richmond is a long drive just for Bass Pro Shop. We have our own on the other side of the bridge/tunnel :)

Yeah, I know where a couple "Total Wine & More" places are...I will have to check and see if they fill up. I have only gone there for my favorite microbrews, if they did CO2 tanks as well that would be awesome!!

I still need to check out Arcet though...I would think they would be one of the cheaper places around like eeebigeee said.

We have a place here in Portsmouth that is a welding supply shop. (MUCH closer than Richmond) I think its National Welders and its where I go to get my tank exchanged (cause its so small) They have a plethora of other tanks and they have filled mine on the spot as well.

They are on.... Grrrg... Victory Blvd.
Hope this helps!
-Me

AH HA! I found them!

Airgas National Welders - (757) 487-4922
3121 Victory Blvd, Portsmouth

They love us homebrewers, or at least they have been really cool when I go in there. I think Im gonna take them a few brews next time I go in.

We have a place here in Portsmouth that is a welding supply shop. (MUCH closer than Richmond) I think its National Welders and its where I go to get my tank exchanged (cause its so small) They have a plethora of other tanks and they have filled mine on the spot as well.

They are on.... Grrrg... Victory Blvd.
Hope this helps!
-Me

AH HA! I found them!

They love us homebrewers, or at least they have been really cool when I go in there. I think Im gonna take them a few brews next time I go in.
Thanks for the steer. I checked Total Wine in Chesapeake, and ARCET in VA Beach. Neither fill, and ARCET only exchanges. I want to keep my tank, so I'm headed to Airgas today...

EDIT - there's an Airgas National Welders closer to me in Chesapeake. They only do exchange - but I can tell I'm going to like this company. Why? When I asked, they said "we only exchange - but our store on Victory Blvd in Portsmouth refills, do you know how to find it?"

Well, any luck? I know they have always wanted to just exchange my 5# bottle everytime I come in, but they actually filled it once.

I just dont want to run into the 'no, you HAVE to exchange' if I decide on getting a bigger bottle.
Thanks
-Me

I've filled mine here:

Yates Fire Protection Services
2314 60th St
Hampton, VA 23661-1302
(757) 827-8696

The guy that fills them is not there every day so you may want to call before going. Reasonable prices also.

Well, any luck? I know they have always wanted to just exchange my 5# bottle everytime I come in, but they actually filled it once.

I just dont want to run into the 'no, you HAVE to exchange' if I decide on getting a bigger bottle.
Thanks
-Me
I got mine filled, and I got the feeling that they would have preferred to exchange. I insisted it was a brand new tank, so I wanted to keep it.

Here, let me help plug them again -

They have helped me several times, and I am glad to hear that they also helped a fellow homebrewer. Hopefully they can help you too!
-Me

Here, let me help plug them again -

They have helped me several times, and I am glad to hear that they also helped a fellow homebrewer. Hopefully they can help you too!
-Me

That sounds like what I will do because I have a nice shiny aluminum 20lber that I don't want to exchange. I am still using my other 10lb tank and have been too lazy to get the 20lb one filled. :D I better get on it though so I don't run out!

Is the "normal" place that is busted on diamond springs?
What kind of prices are you seeing for 5lb tanks?

I normally use Fire Services on Diamond Springs...5lbs are <$13. my 20lb was $37 including a hydro test, probably $18.

He fills and returns your bottle there.

When I was stationed down there I use to get my tank filled at fire-x. It is off N Military hwy. When I was there a year and a half ago they would fill up the tank on the spot. I think it was like $15 for a five pounder. It's in Norfolk but right on the vb line. I use to stop and get my tank filled on my way Home from nob to vb.

Fire-X Corporation
3305 Croft St, Norfolk, VA

(757)*855-0196

When I was stationed down there I use to get my tank filled at fire-x. It is off N Military hwy. When I was there a year and a half ago they would fill up the tank on the spot. I think it was like $15 for a five pounder. It's in Norfolk but right on the vb line. I use to stop and get my tank filled on my way Home from nob to vb.

Fire-X Corporation
3305 Croft St, Norfolk, VA

(757)*855-0196

I think thats the place off of Diamond Springs. I may check them out next time.
Great thread!
-Me

I guess it's kind of diamond springs, but kind of not really. It's off military near robin hood. The first exit after you get off 64 and onto 264 east.

I normally use Fire Services on Diamond Springs...5lbs are <$13. my 20lb was $37 including a hydro test, probably $18.

He fills and returns your bottle there.

I have went there before and got filled pretty cheap (+/- $17 for 10lbs) but recently he had something wrong with his filling station so he could not fill.

I just went up there today because he finally got his equipment fixed. I paid a total of $33 even to get both my 10lb and 20lb tank filled!!! I am set FOR A WHILE NOW, hahaha. He charged $15 for my 10lber and then only $18 for filling my 20lber, is this normal??? Anyway, great place to score CO2, I highly recommend for any Norfolk/Va Beach person in need. :mug:

By the way the place is located here:

Fire Services Inc
5652 Bayside Road
Virginia Beach, VA 23455-3444
(757) 464-9488
Link: [ame="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=fire+services,+virginia+beach,+va&sll=37.215253,-76.349618&sspn=1.021448,1.766052&ie=UTF8&hq=fire+services,&hnear=Virginia+Beach,+VA&ll=37.4138,-76.272583&spn=1.928429,3.532104&z=8&iwloc=A&cid=8288380840424152232"]http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=fire+services,+virginia+beach,+va&sll=37.215253,-76.349618&sspn=1.021448,1.766052&ie=UTF8&hq=fire+services,&hnear=Virginia+Beach,+VA&ll=37.4138,-76.272583&spn=1.928429,3.532104&z=8&iwloc=A&cid=8288380840424152232[/ame]

Here is where you can get your bottle filled.
FIRE SERVICES
5652 BAYSIDE RD.
VIRGINIA BEACH, VA 23455

i use roberts oxygen in portsmouth its off the greenwood dr exit on 264. they will do exchanges or u can drop off your tank for about 2 days to have it filled.

I just purchased a 20lb tank on Craigslist. After reading this thread, I took it to Fire Services, Inc. 5652 Bayside Road, Virginia Beach, VA 23455. (757) 464-9488.

Hydro and fill is going to be right under $40. I didn't catch the exact ammount about for the hydro, but filling a 20lb tank was $21.

I had to drop it off and it is going to take about a week because of the hydro, but you can't beat the price.

Just called the Airgas location in Portsmouth & in Chesapeake. Both quoted me the following prices: 20lb = $59.84, 5lb = $27.33, I went to the Fire Services guy on Bayside in the past, but you have to wait a week for hydro.

Waiting a week was frustrating, especially since I went around Thanksgiving so it took much longer than normal. However, you only have to hydro once every five years, so it isn't that major of an inconvenience. Plus your supporting a small local business.

For simple fills he can do it on the spot.

Pickin's Fire Extinguishers
1991 East Pembroke Avenue, Hampton, VA 23663-1338
(757) 723-5422 &#8206;

I've been going to these guys for about a year or so now. exchange a 5lb bottle for ~$15, but once the filled it while i waited.

I usually go to to Roberts oxygen off bainbridge in chesapeake. Haven't been in a while though, cant remember the prices. I think its Roberts oxygen...:drunk:

I do most of my business with ARCET although BOC gas is pretty good also. Priced about the same. ARCET has welding supplies so I can consolidate trips. They both exchange bottles, I've found ARCET easier if you have a bottle that doesn't have one of their stickers on it. I swapped out a 5lb CO2, a 20ft3 beer gas (CO2/N2 mix) and a 20ft3 argon bottle today for $60.

Just went to Roberts Oxygen in Greenbrier area of Chesapeake this morning. Walked in with a empty tank and walked out with a 5lb filled tank for $17 (they exchange, don't fill on the spot). Took all of 5 mins!

+1 for Fire Services, cost $13 to fill my 5lb tank. My buddy got his filled at Airgas the other day and was charged $34 and they only pressed his tank up to 300#. What a joke

Latest posts

Back