Anyone got more knowledge of HDPE?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blowmax10

Reaction score
I work in PET blow molding but I get these 15 gallon HDPE vessels at work for free

img1349y.jpg

I want to turn them into a cheap kind of conical but I'm uncertain about how oxygen proof they are. A friend at work told me that sometimes when they make these they include an additive to the plastic that makes it oxygen proof.

these were originally used for cranberry concentrate - anymore info on this from anyone?

Also I was thinking that even if they are not oxygen proof I could buy bags to use as liners on the outside of the vessel

The plan is to build a stand to put the vessels on and them mount a bulkhead fitting to the bottom to facilitate racking out of them in place

any input on this would be helpful

Thanks

I work in PET blow molding but I get these 15 gallon HDPE vessels at work for free

img1349y.jpg

I want to turn them into a cheap kind of conical but I'm uncertain about how oxygen proof they are. A friend at work told me that sometimes when they make these they include an additive to the plastic that makes it oxygen proof.

these were originally used for cranberry concentrate - anymore info on this from anyone?

Also I was thinking that even if they are not oxygen proof I could buy bags to use as liners on the outside of the vessel

The plan is to build a stand to put the vessels on and them mount a bulkhead fitting to the bottom to facilitate racking out of them in place

any input on this would be helpful

Thanks

I don't know much about HDPE but wouldn't the cranberry concentrate go bad over time if oxygen penetration were a problem? Just a thought.

I don't know much about HDPE but wouldn't the cranberry concentrate go bad over time if oxygen penetration were a problem? Just a thought.

Yeah that's totally my thought - this stuff is like a year old when they use it

any way to do a test?

I use a 6 gallon version of that for a no-chill container. The Pol suggested it on one his no-chill threads. US plastics sells them and this is what they say about the container

Winpak® Tight Head Pail is a self-supporting plastic container constructed of high molecular weight, high density polyethylene, and is designed for the secure, dependable shipment and storage of liquid products. Winpak® is cylindrical in shape with spout placement in line with the sidewall for maximum removal of product during dispensing. The unit is also equipped with a swing handle on the top face. Meets UN Packaging Type 1H1 and applicable FDA regulations. Has the standard 70mm liquid tight cap with 3/4" NPT center. Ideal for use with sanitary chemicals, flavorings/concentrates, edible oils, pharmaceutical preps, ag-chem chemicals, NEC photochemical x-ray & electronic diagnostic substances, misc. food & kindred products, powders. Not for fuels or oils. Neck size is 70mm.

HDPE has been used for fermentors for a long time... Id say go for it. I use them.

The plastic buckets that many people use as fermentors are HDPE.

There is no additive that makes it "oxygen proof." HDPE is not completely impervious to O2, but the amount that leaches through is minuscule. It might be an issue if you left your beer in there for a year but for normal fermentation periods it won't be a problem.

That vessel will make an excellent fermentor. No bag or liner is needed.

The plastic buckets that many people use as fermentors are HDPE.

There is no additive that makes it "oxygen proof." HDPE is not completely impervious to O2, but the amount that leaches through is minuscule. It might be an issue if you left your beer in there for a year but for normal fermentation periods it won't be a problem.

That vessel will make an excellent fermentor. No bag or liner is needed.

sweet thanks - I'm going to give it a go

I got some free plywood from work and I'm going to build a stand / enclosure for two of them

How exactly do you clean the inside of the vessel after fermentation? I know that carboys have small openings, but they are see through so you can see how well you are cleaning it with a carboy brush. I don't know if I could be totally confident that you could get these 100% clean. Just a thought...I could be wrong.

I get those from work all the time, I'm just hesitant to use one cause we get herbicides/surfectants/additives in them.

There are a few that only have crop oil, surfectant and color in them, could I clean the crap out of it and ferment in it?

I get those from work all the time, I'm just hesitant to use one cause we get herbicides/surfectants/additives in them.

There are a few that only have crop oil, surfectant and color in them, could I clean the crap out of it and ferment in it?

:off:If you don't mind me asking, who do you work for? (I am in a similar field as you, apparently)

How exactly do you clean the inside of the vessel after fermentation? I know that carboys have small openings, but they are see through so you can see how well you are cleaning it with a carboy brush. I don't know if I could be totally confident that you could get these 100% clean. Just a thought...I could be wrong.

that's one reason i drilled the hole where I did - an overnight soaking in oxi clean and a good wash seams to do the trick

I've done 2 - 5 gallon batches in this and both turned out fine. but i was using a secondary fermenter after a week

I would really like to use them as the only fermenting vessel for about three weeks

start your own thread, don't hijack this one

You know, these are so cheap to buy NEW, Id personally just go new if the container has been used to transport hazardous chemicals.

Hardy a hijack. :rolleyes:

The only batch i've ever dumped was from one of those. It had Dr. Pepper syrup in it, and even though it smelled clean, it still leeched Dr. Pepper stank in my beer.

it will take FOREVER for the oxygen to become a problem. In relative terms of course. Don't ferment for 5 years.

Blowmax, Have you used your container for long term aging of beer? Plan on brewing a sour and was thinking about aging 10 gallons plus sour cherries.

I know this is an old thread, but since its been brought TTT...kinda funny on the timing of it. I just had a customer asking me about this very same thing with one of our HDPE tanks we have for a self priming chamber....anyway he was wondering about these issues and i did some searching on it and found that if it was used for a food application then its ok to use. Any other HDPE (unless stated thats its food safe) should NOT be used (according to a few different sites) They also state any other chemicals that are not human comsumable, pesticides etc... the containers should NOT be used for ANY food applications no matter how much you clean it. Also found a posting on how to clean a container of smells or stains if the food application was potent like BBQ sauce or the like:

Since HDPE buckets are somewhat porous, they can hold odors and stains from foods like pickles or barbecue sauce. If you score a free bucket from a restaurant, try this cleaning routine suggested by USA Emergency Supply.

Wash the bucket inside and out with warm, soapy water, then rinse.
Place the bucket outside in a sunny location.
Pour 1 cup of baking soda into the bucket and fill with warm water all the way to the top. Stir to dissolve, then put on the lid, or cover with aluminum foil.
Let the bucket sit in the sun for several days, then empty and rinse out.
Pour 1 cup of bleach into the bucket and fill with warm water all the way to the top. Stir to mix, then put on the lid, or cover with aluminum foil.
Let the bucket sit in the sun for several days, then empty.
Wash again inside and out with warm water and dishwashing liquid, then let dry with the lid off.

Back