10 minutes from brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wine5150

Reaction score
Ok so heres the recipe. It is my first time brewing a all grain beer.

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WLP002 - or English Ale Equivalent
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.066
Final Gravity: 1.010
IBU: 81
Boiling Time (Minutes): 75
Color: 8.5
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 days at 68 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10-14 days at 68 degrees
Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
84.6 11.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.036 3
7.7 1.00 lbs. Munich Malt(2-row) America 1.035 6
3.8 0.50 lbs. Crystal 60L America 1.034 60
3.8 0.50 lbs. Wheat Malt America 1.038 2
Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.
Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.50 oz. Nugget Whole 12.70 71.7 60 min.
1.50 oz. Cascade Whole 6.00 9.0 15 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Whole 7.30 0.0 Dry Hop
Extras
Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 Tsp Irish Moss Fining 15 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----
White Labs WLP002 English Ale

Mash Schedule
-------------
Mash Type: Single Step
Grain Lbs: 13.00
Water Qts: 15.88 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 3.97 - Before Additional Infusions
Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.22 - Before Additional Infusions
Saccharification Rest Temp : 153 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 0 Time: 0
Sparge Temp : 168 Time: 168

My question is after I bring mash to boil for 15 mins then add the 1.50 oz. Nugget Whole for 60 mins. Add 1.50 oz. Cascade Whole and 1.00 Tsp Irish Moss Fining in the last 15 mins. after yeast is pitched add 1.00 oz. Cascade Whole 7.30 0.0 Dry Hop to the primary fermentation. Sound about right? Thanks for any help

STOP.
Step away from the ingredients and equipment.
Turn off any flames.

Sorry man but your brief question tells me you're about to waste 4-5 hours and a lot of raw material.

In all grain...you don't boil the grains.
Dry hopping is done after fermentation is complete.
Are you familiar with the term "mash"?

Go here:
www.howtobrew.com
and spend a few hours reading up on all grain brewing.

Close call :cross:
Sounds more like your attemping to do a partial mash, but you need to get some of the basics down before diving in head first. :mug:

I ment after the mash. Sorry I wasn't clear. I have the grains at 160 right now and im making the wort. I didn't know what to do with the dry hopping. Glad I asked!

I ment after the mash. Sorry I wasn't clear. I have the grains at 160 right now and im making the wort. I didn't know what to do with the dry hopping. Glad I asked!

Dry hopping is this:
Once primary fermintation has subsided (based on hydrometer readings), you rack your beer into a secondary vessel, here you add additional hops for aroma. Then bottle after 7-10 days

I'm glad you got some rescue education. I was thinking about how much I liked your recipe when I saw "bring mash to boil" and nearly flew to Napa to stop you (and enjoy what else Napa has to offer).

Here's another nit to pick. Consider giving your beer 10 days in the primary. It certainly won't hurt anything, but it may help avoid a diacetyl problem, an attentuation problem, or any number of other problems. If you have healty yeast (and you should, if you made a starter), 10 days is just fine.

TL

The temp is at 153 I started at 160 because I thought the grain would absorb some of the heat, and it did. When I go to sparge I'm going to use 168 degree water. I am confused about how to sparge for 168 minutes? This is considered Continuous Sparging, or am I misreading it?

You're not misreading it, but it is not correct. You shouldn't need 168 minutes for your mash to convert. Typically, you are looking at around 40-60 minutes. Sometimes more; sometimes less. You just need to do your iodine test to check (although a taste test also can get you there).

TL

Back