Conditioning one week at room temp. and one week in fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kayfreed

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just brewed my second batch ever which is a Brewer's Best Imperial Nut Brown Ale. So far both the OG and FG were right on target. I transferred it to a carboy and currently it is sitting in my closet. I was just curious whether it would be effective to condition for one week at room temperature and then the second week transfer to my fridge so it can clear and for sediment to dissipate. Will I notice a major difference by splitting the process up and by putting the carboy in my fridge for a week? Thanks.

Conditioning stops in the fridge.

So you will preserve the unconditioned immature flavor of your beer.

I condition mine 6 weeks warm.

Clear beer that tastes 40% worse than it would after a few weeks warm is cutting your nose off despite your face.

Okay thank you for the info. Do you suggest conditioning a nut brown ale for that long? I was planning on letting it sit for 2 weeks but am certainly open for leaving it for longer. First time I have every conditioned, so all feedback is much appreciated.

Okay thank you for the info. Do you suggest conditioning a nut brown ale for that long? I was planning on letting it sit for 2 weeks but am certainly open for leaving it for longer. First time I have every conditioned, so all feedback is much appreciated.

I've got a brown ale that's been conditioning for a little over 2 weeks now and it's till not fully carbonated. I opened one last night and it still has a ways to go.

Cheezy's correct. I primary all my ales for 3 weeks 64-69f, secondary for a month 50-60f, dry hop in secondary for an extra week 50-60f, bottle condition 70-80f for three more weeks. That's 11 weeks before it is a good, right, bright beer that I can serve anyone and feel proud.

Conditioning stops in the fridge.

So you will preserve the unconditioned immature flavor of your beer.

I condition mine 6 weeks warm.

Clear beer that tastes 40% worse than it would after a few weeks warm is cutting your nose off despite your face.

The saying is actually cutting your nose of to spite your face.

But I agree it is better to do a longer conditioning at warm temps which you may or may not want to follow with cold conditioning depending on the type of beer he brewed. I usually go 3 weeks in primary for an ale.

For most ales, secondary-ing at all (i.e. transfer to carboy) is a general waste of time. I primary for 4 weeks, bottle, then bottle condition at 70 for 2 weeks, taste one hoping its ready, and then usually wait the last week out (3 weeks in bottles at 70 degrees) and then chill them for 2 days and enjoy.

3-4 week primary for ales and skip the secondary all together, not needed IMO and the opinion of many on this board.

The saying is actually cutting your nose of to spite your face.

But I agree it is better to do a longer conditioning at warm temps which you may or may not want to follow with cold conditioning depending on the type of beer he brewed. I usually go 3 weeks in primary for an ale.

Lol. :mug:

I appreciate the correction, and I respect whatever is proper.

For most ales, secondary-ing at all (i.e. transfer to carboy) is a general waste of time. I primary for 4 weeks, bottle, then bottle condition at 70 for 2 weeks, taste one hoping its ready, and then usually wait the last week out (3 weeks in bottles at 70 degrees) and then chill them for 2 days and enjoy.

3-4 week primary for ales and skip the secondary all together, not needed IMO and the opinion of many on this board.

Really, well some are beginning to see the light...

I agree, this is pretty much what I do as well. After they have carbed up and need clearing then I will put them in the fridge for about 4-6 weeks and after that they are ready to go!

Latest posts

Back